Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Is a kids room being clean that important???

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I do not understand why so many parents are so obsessed with keeping things spotless. Why would you pick your child up from a party because they did not pick up dolls? I am so glad that my kids do not have to worry about that kind of stuff and can enjoy their childhood. My mom did not do that to me either. We have a chore chart that has money for each chore and they pick the chores they want that day. It is just not that serious people. The dirt will be there tomorrow enjoy your kids!

Edit: My kids do chores it stated above that we have a chore chart. But I would never get my kids from or prevent them from going to a bday party, not be able to go play, not be able to go do fun things with the family because the house was not perfect first. I am fine with after all the fun is had straighten up. Good with me . But I don't prevent them from doing things because of it. My kids put their stuff in their room no food laying around etc. But we don't do chores every night. They don't have to clean their room before bed heck I am happy just to get them in bed.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:55 PM
Replies (21-30):
SpaceBallz
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Because we are teaching our children to exsist in the world without us, and how many roomates would you appreciate who never cleaned up after themselves? It is our duty as their parents to give them the tools to coexist with others and respecting not only themselves but those around them.....so yes clean rooms are important!

tennis4lissa
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:04 PM

i agree! habits are formed at a young age, and i think keeping things clean and helping around the house are very important things to teach kids. i have a few friends who were never "made" to help or clean and they are disasters, their places are dirty and messy and gross imo.  I have a friend with four kids and she doesnt make them clean up after themselves and their house is such a mess, and they always get away with not cleaning their room, and not picking up their toys.  cant wait until she has four teens to see how that will be oh no :/

Quoting Anonymous: I see what you're saying but I do think some importance should be placed on cleanliness as children typically start forming life habits even at a young age. I've roomed with a couple slobs who could have had cleanliness pushed on them a little more :) Edit: Also, I remember reading that post earlier and I felt a huge part in her taking the daughter from the party was the fact that the daughter didn't do as she was told. I got grounded for not doing as my mother said when I was a child too. I could be wrong, but I probably would have done the same as the mom.

sam12796
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:04 PM
I expect that before we settle down for the evening with baths and story time their room will be put back to tidy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:05 PM
That party post is a single glimpse into their lives. Maybe the daughter has a long history of not listening and not taking care of her things, so the mom hit her breaking point that day.
lenashark
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:05 PM

To us it is. I teach my kids to respect their things and get them into good habits so they won't be disrespectful slobs when they grow up. Their room is in my house, I like my house neat and clean, so they are expected to keep their rooms that way. Taking ten minutes for them to pick up their things isn't taking away from them enjoying their childhood and isn't keeping me from enjoying my children. We don't pay them for it either. If I specifically ask my child to pick up their dolls for a week and the ignore me and I tell them it needs to be done or they aren't going to a party, and they ignore me anyway, they aren't going, I'm raising well mannered children, not disrespectful brats.

Heisenberg
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:05 PM

I don't know what's wrong with having a clean house and teaching kids pride, respect, and responsibility.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:06 PM
If my boys don't want a neat room j don't care! They must clean every 2 weeks, including vaccuming. But other than.that they can.live with the toys everywhere!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:07 PM
It is to keep them accountable for their actions. Also so they respect their possessions. I thought all parents expected this.
Mamie_du_Monde_
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:07 PM
I used to obsess over it. Now I keep the rest of the house clean and keep their doors shut. I just tell them to make up their beds and pick up the chunks. We do a 'deep clean' once a month in there, but I've stopped yelling about it on a daily basis.
rissamom224
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:07 PM
My daughter is four years old and she is expected to clean her room.
Toys in toybox
Cloths in hamper
Stuffed animals on dresser
Then mop...
Now,now now I am not crazy.
I understand it won't be perfect I give her lots of praise for trying then go back and clean it to my standard.
But it makes her feel very proud.
And teaches her house keeping skills
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN