Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Is a kids room being clean that important???

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I do not understand why so many parents are so obsessed with keeping things spotless. Why would you pick your child up from a party because they did not pick up dolls? I am so glad that my kids do not have to worry about that kind of stuff and can enjoy their childhood. My mom did not do that to me either. We have a chore chart that has money for each chore and they pick the chores they want that day. It is just not that serious people. The dirt will be there tomorrow enjoy your kids!

Edit: My kids do chores it stated above that we have a chore chart. But I would never get my kids from or prevent them from going to a bday party, not be able to go play, not be able to go do fun things with the family because the house was not perfect first. I am fine with after all the fun is had straighten up. Good with me . But I don't prevent them from doing things because of it. My kids put their stuff in their room no food laying around etc. But we don't do chores every night. They don't have to clean their room before bed heck I am happy just to get them in bed.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:55 PM
Replies (221-227):
TheFirstNoel
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Personally, I don't think it's that a big a deal. If they don't want to clean their room, then they don't have to. My DD4 is already a bit of a neat freak and her room is always spotlessly clean, by her coice. DD12 is, however, a slob. I don't feel the need to force her to clean her room. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 46 on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:22 AM

I didn't see the previous post, but i do expect them to at least pick up their toys and put them away before they move on to the next thing, before they start their bedtime routine or go to a friend's house. I don't expect them to vacumm or dust or anything like that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 47 on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:21 AM

I think there has to be a line drawn.  Kids are prone to leaving things that can rot or attract insects in their rooms, so keeping one's room clean to prevent that is a good idea.  Also, a cluttered room is a safety hazard (bear with me, I'm a firefighter's daughter).  Not just because they could trip, but in the event of an emergency like a fire, a messy room could hinder their ability to get to safety.  And if they couldn't get out and a firefighter had to go in after them, that firefighter would not be as able to do their job if the room is messy with stuff all over, which is dangerous for both the firefighter and the kid.  I think that as long as the kid keeps the floor clear and vacuums once a week, it is adequate.  I wouldn't hesitate keeping my kids from something fun, though, if they were specifically told to clean it up and refused or if they allowed it to get truly disgustingly messy (which wouldn't happen, since the rule when they get that age is going to be that if half the floor is covered by stuff, they have an hour to fix it or I come in with a garbage bag.  Worked on my sister and I...).  If the kid does some daily basic maintenance like dirty clothes in the hamper and straighten their bed, put things away as they get done with them, there is absolutely no good reason the room should ever need more than 10 minutes work to bring it up to 100%.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 48 on Mar. 22, 2014 at 8:33 AM

bump

Anonymous

bump

Anonymous

bump

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 8:35 AM
It's important, but not the end of the world.
I make DD pick up every night before bed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)