Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Is a kids room being clean that important???

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I do not understand why so many parents are so obsessed with keeping things spotless. Why would you pick your child up from a party because they did not pick up dolls? I am so glad that my kids do not have to worry about that kind of stuff and can enjoy their childhood. My mom did not do that to me either. We have a chore chart that has money for each chore and they pick the chores they want that day. It is just not that serious people. The dirt will be there tomorrow enjoy your kids!

Edit: My kids do chores it stated above that we have a chore chart. But I would never get my kids from or prevent them from going to a bday party, not be able to go play, not be able to go do fun things with the family because the house was not perfect first. I am fine with after all the fun is had straighten up. Good with me . But I don't prevent them from doing things because of it. My kids put their stuff in their room no food laying around etc. But we don't do chores every night. They don't have to clean their room before bed heck I am happy just to get them in bed.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:55 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:09 PM
I'm not at all opposed to what that mother did. The kid knew she had all week to pick up or she wouldn't get to be rewarded with a party. Then, the kid played the splitting game with her parents & got called out on it. She might ACTUALLY learn a good lesson from this.

That being said, my 11 year old sons room is a disaster. It's a battle I choose not to pick. There's bigger fish to fry in my household than a messy room. But, I still see nothing wrong with how that mother handled things.
rocamom
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:09 PM

I don't need my kids rooms to be spotless but when I can't walk in their room it's an issue.  Especially for my deaughter's room because her room is really small. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:09 PM

My kids rooms are cluttered and things don't get put away where they should.  Clothing is often on the floor from where they tried on the multiple outfits until they decided what to wear.  Things are shoved under the bed.  There is no dirt per say except for some dust.  They straighten up on their own when they feel the need and I do remind them occassionally but I don't stress about it.  The floor is mostly clear, no food or drinks accumulate and there is no smell.  I don't worry about it, too much.  It bugs me but there are other things in my life to worry about.

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:10 PM

While I would prefer the room to be clean, my only real requirement is that there be a clear path from her bed to the door and her bed to the window, just in case of an emergency.

CafeMom Tickers
the_dude
by abides on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Dude.. are we talking about toys or fucking dirt.? Dirt is filth, dirt and other naster need to be cleaned.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:13 PM

I think it was harsh to make her give away her dolls but yes, she was told apparently more than once to pick them up and did not do it.  I would have dealt with the issue before the party though so there would have been no question of going to pick her up from the party.  There is no reason whatsoever that by 7, she doesn't do what she is told.

On a side note, I'm mystified by all this fuss though.  I don't really get the other poster putting what that child's mother did on here to be judged and I certainly do not see the validity of this post.  It's beating the same horse with a different stick.  You're obviously telling everyone you're better than this woman and inviting others to do the same.  Congratulations.

bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I dislike rats and roaches. My son apparently doesn't give a shit judging by the state his room is in 90% of the time. I make him clean it to stave off the rats and roaches I referred to above.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:13 PM
Clean as in no filth... very important. Always perfectly organized.. not so important. We do a tidyup before nap and before bed.. and sometimes just before bed but he's 2, he's a kid.. its just toys. The rest of my house has to be clean or Id go crazy!
Chirinos
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:14 PM
I cleaned houses for 6 years and I've seen some pretty bad houses so I am obsessed with my apartment being clean and that includes the boys bedroom it has to be spotless before they go to bed every night plus their chores have to be done before bedtime. I was raised that way and so will my kids.
momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:15 PM

I agree. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)