Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Is a kids room being clean that important???

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I do not understand why so many parents are so obsessed with keeping things spotless. Why would you pick your child up from a party because they did not pick up dolls? I am so glad that my kids do not have to worry about that kind of stuff and can enjoy their childhood. My mom did not do that to me either. We have a chore chart that has money for each chore and they pick the chores they want that day. It is just not that serious people. The dirt will be there tomorrow enjoy your kids!

Edit: My kids do chores it stated above that we have a chore chart. But I would never get my kids from or prevent them from going to a bday party, not be able to go play, not be able to go do fun things with the family because the house was not perfect first. I am fine with after all the fun is had straighten up. Good with me . But I don't prevent them from doing things because of it. My kids put their stuff in their room no food laying around etc. But we don't do chores every night. They don't have to clean their room before bed heck I am happy just to get them in bed.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:55 PM
Replies (41-50):
aschwarz06
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:16 PM

im not that picky about it. their rooms are a mess but i do make them pick itup after a while. is it life or death NO but it does teach repsonsibility. the rest of my house is not spotless so why should i mke them be perfect. they are kids

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:17 PM
*nods* Absolutely! I had a roommate who was a nightmare to live with because of his blatant lack of hygiene. Mind you, this was a grown man in his 20's and he didn't even know how to do his laundry! His excuse was always that he was used to his mom doing it for him. I just told him, "well honey, I'm not your mama, so you'd better start learning!" Lol

Quoting tennis4lissa:

i agree! habits are formed at a young age, and i think keeping things clean and helping around the house are very important things to teach kids. i have a few friends who were never "made" to help or clean and they are disasters, their places are dirty and messy and gross imo.  I have a friend with four kids and she doesnt make them clean up after themselves and their house is such a mess, and they always get away with not cleaning their room, and not picking up their toys.  cant wait until she has four teens to see how that will be oh no :/

Quoting Anonymous: I see what you're saying but I do think some importance should be placed on cleanliness as children typically start forming life habits even at a young age. I've roomed with a couple slobs who could have had cleanliness pushed on them a little more :) Edit: Also, I remember reading that post earlier and I felt a huge part in her taking the daughter from the party was the fact that the daughter didn't do as she was told. I got grounded for not doing as my mother said when I was a child too. I could be wrong, but I probably would have done the same as the mom.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Its very important!! I don't ask for spotless, but clean. My kids come home from school and do homework. Then they have their chores. If they don't do them, they don't do anything that day!! Its called responsibility!!

tennis4lissa
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:19 PM

my ex bf's roomate was exactly like that, we went to college like 45 mins from home so he would just bring it home and his mom would do it...um time to cut the cord and teach you kid how to do laundry lol!! we were 18-20, but still adults, i dont understand going to college and still not knowing those things, arent those considered life skills?

Quoting Anonymous: *nods* Absolutely! I had a roommate who was a nightmare to live with because of his blatant lack of hygiene. Mind you, this was a grown man in his 20's and he didn't even know how to do his laundry! His excuse was always that he was used to his mom doing it for him. I just told him, "well honey, I'm not your mama, so you'd better start learning!" Lol
Quoting tennis4lissa:

i agree! habits are formed at a young age, and i think keeping things clean and helping around the house are very important things to teach kids. i have a few friends who were never "made" to help or clean and they are disasters, their places are dirty and messy and gross imo.  I have a friend with four kids and she doesnt make them clean up after themselves and their house is such a mess, and they always get away with not cleaning their room, and not picking up their toys.  cant wait until she has four teens to see how that will be oh no :/

Quoting Anonymous: I see what you're saying but I do think some importance should be placed on cleanliness as children typically start forming life habits even at a young age. I've roomed with a couple slobs who could have had cleanliness pushed on them a little more :) Edit: Also, I remember reading that post earlier and I felt a huge part in her taking the daughter from the party was the fact that the daughter didn't do as she was told. I got grounded for not doing as my mother said when I was a child too. I could be wrong, but I probably would have done the same as the mom.

WesAndNicksMom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this
If I ask repeatedly for something to be done there will be consequences. I'm not psycho about their rooms but if I tell them to clean them and they don't they'll be in trouble!
cybcm
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:23 PM
When my 17yr old was 6 he got up during the night to use the bathroom, slipped on a toy, fell backwards and hit his head on the bed frame. I had to take him to hospital at 1am where he got 14 stitches and had to stay overnight as he was concussed.

So yeah, it matters to me that the floor is clear.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:25 PM
I enjoy my kids just fine and my house is nice and clean, and so is my 7 yr olds room. Shocking, I know!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:26 PM
See I don't get it they went to school all day came home worked some more and then made to do even more every day ? I don't want to do that every day. My house is not filthy the kids pick up but not daily .

Quoting Anonymous:

Its very important!! I don't ask for spotless, but clean. My kids come home from school and do homework. Then they have their chores. If they don't do them, they don't do anything that day!! Its called responsibility!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:27 PM
Now that is nutty !!!!

Quoting chiefsfan91: I have a family member that is crazy cleaning. Like..dries the sink and bathtub out. Mops twice a day.
I just like to keep things organized, don't like toys left on the floor if they aren't playing, etc. And I vacuum a lot but I have an awesome vacuum that shows what it picks up lol. I like it.
I make my bed vut don't make the kids do theirs.

Quoting Anonymous: I don't keep everything spotless either. My husband and I both work kids have activities 3 or more days a week the weekends are family time I would rather play with the kids then spend my weekend cleaning .

Quoting Anonymous: Its important. I mean ours aren't spotless... but picked up and tidy. Its important so they learn to keep everything nice and neat to me.
I grew up with a hoarder and it was awful.
lalalamama
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:28 PM
I remember my Mom getting a hard time because she didn't give me chores. She always told me that getting an education was my job and that she knew I was smart enough to figure out housekeeping when the time came. I was born in the 60's so that was pretty foreward thinking on her part...
She was right, and yes, I've got it figured out :)
I've always stressed school work and social responsibilty with my sons. They are successful, well organised and well liked young adults. So, their bedrooms weren't pristine, we were too busy on more important stuff.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)