Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you have this?!?!?!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Is business still a good field to get into?
Which would be better- accounting or finance?
What kind of hours/salary are you accumilating?

Whats your job title?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:15 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:27 AM

laughing

Quoting MichLW69: Financial planning.
Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting MichLW69: My uncle is a financial planner, owns his own business and makes a few million+/yr.
Oh wow, what kind of business does he own

sarasunshine99
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Do you have your undergrad degree in Business Administration?  And an MBA is pretty much expected when job searching in the field.  My dh has both and he is a VP of medical sales for a worldwide company.  

liveforever
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:35 AM
Dh has a degree in finance. At the moment he works in a call center(For an insurance company) making around $55,000.

He's looking for new positions where can get more into the planning aspect and off the phones.
bhow
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:36 AM

If you feel confident enough in your "dollars and sense" ability I think you would do good at either.  Our accountant is a very rich man and can pick and choose whom he does business with.  His clients are not people he has to worry about getting paid or not.  Might be slow going to prove yourself but if you've got the confidence without the arrogance you should do fine.  People that have $ to invest want those that know where to put it and why.

Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:37 AM

bump

CorpCityGrl
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Business degrees are generally safe and it's a degree that can translate into most industries anywhere.  The difference between accounting and finance is really up to you - one is more specific than the other.  I have my BS in Finance and I'm an analyst.  Both fields have the potential for you to make really good money, but you also have to think about what you'd like to do.  

mysticatgal
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:43 AM
My dh looked into that. He got an accounting degree because more jobs are available in our area for accountants. He also found that you are more likely to be able to use an accounting degree to get a job in finances but not the other way around as much.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 23, 2014 at 7:42 PM
Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Business degrees are generally safe and it's a degree that can translate into most industries anywhere.  The difference between accounting and finance is really up to you - one is more specific than the other.  I have my BS in Finance and I'm an analyst.  Both fields have the potential for you to make really good money, but you also have to think about what you'd like to do.  

What kind of hours do you work?
What was your starting salary when you graduated?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 23, 2014 at 7:42 PM
Bump
CorpCityGrl
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting CorpCityGrl:

What kind of hours do you work? What was your starting salary when you graduated?

I'll be honest with you - accounting and finance hours have a tendency to be long and brutal.  It also all depends on what exactly you do and get involved in.  I used to be a budget analyst and I would work anywhere from your standard 8 hours all the way up to 10, 12, 14 hours sometimes depending on the time of the month and year AND vacation time was a premium because of the budget calendar.  I've gotten lucky though and now work in a job that is flexible and I usually am out the door at 3 or 4 o'clock.  Again, it depends on not only the position, but also the company and industry you work for.  When I first graduated college about 10 years ago, I started off at slightly above $30K at an entry-level business administration job where I learned the ropes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)