Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

would you marry an autistic man? or have children?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 284 Replies
1 mom liked this
If you meet an autistic man, would that withhold you from marrying or having children with you?
This is for if you're perfectly sane.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 4:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 19, 2014 at 4:35 AM
1 mom liked this
It would depend on how severe it is.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 19, 2014 at 4:39 AM
3 moms liked this

If I fell in love with someone, then the fact that he was on the spectrum wouldn't stop me from marrying him.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 19, 2014 at 4:40 AM
6 moms liked this
Honestly, probably not. And I realize that my answer is colored by personal experiences, but I'm not sure what else I would have to go on. The only autistic older teenage boys and men that I have met have been rude, violent, and incredibly annoying to be around. I don't see how I could get past that to stand being married to and/or having kids with someone like that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 19, 2014 at 4:55 AM
I don't see anything wrong with this answer.

Is there any proof that he would have autistic children? Or if two autistic people have a baby, that it will be autistic?

Quoting Anonymous: Honestly, probably not. And I realize that my answer is colored by personal experiences, but I'm not sure what else I would have to go on. The only autistic older teenage boys and men that I have met have been rude, violent, and incredibly annoying to be around. I don't see how I could get past that to stand being married to and/or having kids with someone like that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 19, 2014 at 5:00 AM
1 mom liked this
No. I am not a strong enough of a person to be with someone with any serious cognitive disabilities, or even mental disorders. Autism, schizophrenia, bipolar, etc.

I couldn't deal with it. I need my husband to be a leader.
-Copper-
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 5:01 AM
No. Aspergers, perhaps, if they were on the higher end of functioning, but in general, no. I can't be with someone who can't match me blow for blow, and the more passive, socially awkward personalities of even high-functioning autistic people would not be able to handle me.

I've dated just ordinary shy/passive men before and it does NOT work, I don't mean to, but if someone is a more passive personality, I completely control the relationship, and that not only makes them unhappy, it makes me unhappy. I used to seek out more passive men, because I needed to be in control, but it never left me any happier.

Alpha needs alpha, as douchey as that sounds, it's the only way to describe it.
SciFiMama91
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 5:11 AM
6 moms liked this
I'm mentally sound, but I am on the spectrum. I would have no issues with marrying someone who is also on the spectrum.
SciFiMama91
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 5:15 AM
1 mom liked this
This amuses me because every relationship I've been in (aside from SO) I've been the more dominant of the two.

SO and I are equal, thankfully.

Quoting -Copper-: No. Aspergers, perhaps, if they were on the higher end of functioning, but in general, no. I can't be with someone who can't match me blow for blow, and the more passive, socially awkward personalities of even high-functioning autistic people would not be able to handle me.

I've dated just ordinary shy/passive men before and it does NOT work, I don't mean to, but if someone is a more passive personality, I completely control the relationship, and that not only makes them unhappy, it makes me unhappy. I used to seek out more passive men, because I needed to be in control, but it never left me any happier.

Alpha needs alpha, as douchey as that sounds, it's the only way to describe it.
readyforhim
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 5:17 AM

no I couldn't.

Tasha911471
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 5:24 AM
1 mom liked this
This

Quoting Anonymous:

If I fell in love with someone, then the fact that he was on the spectrum wouldn't stop me from marrying him.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN