Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are Smart and Educated People More Arrogant?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

In my personal experience, I find that those who are smart and educated to be more arrogant than others. If you've ever tried to have a civil discussion with someone who is "educated" or book-smart, you will know what I mean.

I wouldn't say I'm "smart" or that I know a lot. Then again, I only have a high-school diploma. One day, I want to go to college, but that's likely to be in the distant future. I hope that once I have received my degree, I won't lose my sense of humilty. I think it's fair to say that most people are generally smart. Some are more street-smarts than book-smarts and vice versa. I think in general there is a lot people don't know and will likely never know. I think a lot of people think they know something they don't really understand (myself included). 

I think if most people were truly on the level of smarts they only think they are, they would be mind-blown!

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:22 AM
2 moms liked this

Honestly, I've dealt with a ton of arrogant stupid people who are willfully ignorant. I'd rather deal with arrogant educated people any day.

Lifeisadream
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:22 AM
I don't think more educated people are more arrogant just more secure.
bcoll
by Brandi on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:23 AM

I haven't noticed, no.

Dulcemama5
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:24 AM
I've known plenty of educated idiots in my life also arrogance is arrogance no matter your schooling
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:24 AM
I dont like dumbing myself down for anyone. If they dont know what im talking about, or understand a word I would use in everyday speech they can look it up. Im not arrogant but I dont deal well with people who are happy with their ignorance. I have humility and understanding, but usually people get intimidated by me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Honestly, it sounds like your own insecurities getting in your way. If you're having a discussion with someone about something they know a lot about, they're going to talk to you like they have the information to back up their opinions, or whatever it is, because they know what they're talking about.  

Do some research and educate yourself. There are plenty of resources on line about EVERY topic imaginable.

I'm not arguing with anyone about anything right now. I've known some folks who seem to think they have an answer to everything just because of their degree. 

I'm not agruing with you. I'm just saying. I know plenty of arrogant people who don't have a degree and then throw that in my face and tell me I think I know everything because I do have a degree once they realize that I do know what I'm talking about....it's a two way street. And again, just because you are not in school or don't have a degree doesn't mean you can't do your own research. 

storkneedsgps
by RoseTyler on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:26 AM
This!!!

Quoting Charlie557:

I find those who have a degree in Google to be the most arrogant of all.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chris030406
by anonsneednotreply on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:27 AM
This.

Quoting Anonymous: My dh is very intelligent. People think he's arrogant... He's NOT. It's just that he explains things in a very scientific way, a very specific, accurate, and mathematical wway. My dad asked him if it was fair that a guy with prosthetic legs got to run in the Olympics. That was a good 15 min of mathematical equations proving that yes... it's fair, lol. And my dad is the classic Texas redneck.. so you can imagine.

He doesn't realize that most people don't understand him when he talks like that. He really doesn't. He doesn't mean to talk "above" other people's intelligence, but that's just how his brain works. I have talked to him about it so he's trying to get better.... we even have this signal.... if we're in a group and I can tell he's losing people I'll say, "What?? Babe.. I don't understand that. Dumb it down for me." People laugh and then he says, "Oh! My bad..." And he'll try... lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:28 AM
So true. And what about all the people who took an online IQ test and now think they have the same IQ as Einstein. I'm so sick of idiots telling me they are actually geniuses!

Quoting Charlie557:

I find those who have a degree in Google to be the most arrogant of all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes, the more educated you are, the stupidity of others is more evident.  What may seem like arrogance to you,  could possibly be shock or horror on behalf of the educated person that others are really that stupid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)