Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are Smart and Educated People More Arrogant?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

In my personal experience, I find that those who are smart and educated to be more arrogant than others. If you've ever tried to have a civil discussion with someone who is "educated" or book-smart, you will know what I mean.

I wouldn't say I'm "smart" or that I know a lot. Then again, I only have a high-school diploma. One day, I want to go to college, but that's likely to be in the distant future. I hope that once I have received my degree, I won't lose my sense of humilty. I think it's fair to say that most people are generally smart. Some are more street-smarts than book-smarts and vice versa. I think in general there is a lot people don't know and will likely never know. I think a lot of people think they know something they don't really understand (myself included). 

I think if most people were truly on the level of smarts they only think they are, they would be mind-blown!

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Replies (171-175):
heidi749
by Canadian on Mar. 21, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Ain't that a bitch for her....lol

Quoting SerpentsKiss:

She went to Columbia. Last I knew, she was looking for a job. She can't seem to find one.

Quoting Anonymous:

OMG!  What a "friend!"  Your kids are probably better off!  (And you are definitely better off.)

Incidentally, I'm just curious which college your friend attended and what she does now?

Quoting SerpentsKiss:

Some can be. I recently lost a friend because she told me that my children would not be allowed to play with hers because my boyfriend and I have not gone to college.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 47 on Mar. 21, 2014 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I think this post says sooooooo much more about you than people who are educated.

It comes down to the individual NOT the education that determines if they are arrogant or not.  I know/work with many people who have Masters and doctorates and the two most arrogant people I know only have a h.s. diploma.  It is because of who they are as individuals... and nothing else that makes them arrogant.

Soooo.... what it comes down to is you are either arrogant or you are not regardless of your education.

heidi749
by Canadian on Mar. 21, 2014 at 6:49 PM

I'm not sure I agree with this. My younger bil is incredibly intelligent he is an economic major.. I do not find him arrogant in any way, when it comes to his intelligence . I find all my in laws to be highly intelligent, most speak two languages as well, but they're not arrogant at all....

jesusismyfriend
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 6:51 PM
Education does not equal intelligence. I have always been intelligent and wise for my age. But I am just now going to college. I do; however, read a lot and most is nonfiction. I dont think being intelligent automatically makes one seem like they are above everyone else, I have run across that with all intelligence levels. (Exception is my friend with DS, she is very sweet). I do however believe that common sense seems to disappear a lot among higher educated people.
RosaRosa
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 7:02 PM

I consider myself smart.  And I am "educated".  I am also so concerned with trying to "get my act together" in terms of being a good person, doing the right thing, and so on I know better than to be arrogant.  Yes, sometimes I interrupt my children while they are talking with a bit of an attitude about my expectations of them.  My husband will even tell you that I can be a bit full of myself when I complain about family members not pulling their weight, the ever not clean bathroom or why it seems I am the only one who takes care of the kitty litter.  However, the people in my household have far more education than me and they are all quite smart. 

Yes, some people get a little education, a decent job and start thinking that their position or status is poured in cement.  Some "educated" people even think that those without those perks are not analytical, intellectual or well read.  However, there are many brilliant minds who know that the person to bounce an new idea off of is their secretary, a waiter, the office cleaning lady who speaks little English or their pool boy. 

The bottom line is that every person with years of education is not necessarily smart.  Arrogance comes in all shapes and sizes. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN