Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are Smart and Educated People More Arrogant?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

In my personal experience, I find that those who are smart and educated to be more arrogant than others. If you've ever tried to have a civil discussion with someone who is "educated" or book-smart, you will know what I mean.

I wouldn't say I'm "smart" or that I know a lot. Then again, I only have a high-school diploma. One day, I want to go to college, but that's likely to be in the distant future. I hope that once I have received my degree, I won't lose my sense of humilty. I think it's fair to say that most people are generally smart. Some are more street-smarts than book-smarts and vice versa. I think in general there is a lot people don't know and will likely never know. I think a lot of people think they know something they don't really understand (myself included). 

I think if most people were truly on the level of smarts they only think they are, they would be mind-blown!

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:33 AM

I think I will recuse myself from this post, I may lack impartiality :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:33 AM
Stupid people get degrees all the time. It doesn't take a smart person to have a degree.

A degree doesn't make you smart. I was always the smart kid. I hated it. I would rather have been a dumb jock (not saying jocks are dumb, just is what I wanted to be) or a musical talent or anything else but smart. I even went through a phase of pretending to be stupid and getting bad grades. It didn't work out very well for me, I had teachers offering to let me redo work and counselors asking if everything was okay at home.

What I have learned over the years is that everyone has something they excel at. Just because it's jot debating or school doesn't mean that yours isn't awesome.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Honestly, it sounds like your own insecurities getting in your way. If you're having a discussion with someone about something they know a lot about, they're going to talk to you like they have the information to back up their opinions, or whatever it is, because they know what they're talking about.  

Do some research and educate yourself. There are plenty of resources on line about EVERY topic imaginable.

I'm not arguing with anyone about anything right now. I've known some folks who seem to think they have an answer to everything just because of their degree. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Quoting 3JuJu3:

I think everyone should realize that there's always someone smarter and more educated than they are out there so there's no point in feeling superior based on that. The true can be said about wealth or beauty. 

At the same time, if someone is having a discussion or a debate with someone who is more educated than they are, they can come off as arrogant, especially online.  You can't always determine tone online like you can in person, and if they are writing with more advanced vocabulary it might appear arrogant.  Does that make any sense?

That's true. 

Kmary
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:34 AM

No not really.  I thnk arrogant comes in all forms from dumb to street smart to book smart.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:35 AM

depends on the person. i know some very chilled people who are very educated and some that are arrogant. I think sometimes though people mistake arrogance just for the person showing how educated they are in a discusion about a topic they have vast knowledge in.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Hear, hear!

Quoting Anonymous: I have dealt with plenty of uneducated, arrogant people. Arrogant people are arrogant people.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:38 AM
anyone can be arrogant I think maybe smarter people are perceived that way because some people find intelligence threatening .

ive met some really intelligent people who are not arrogant .and ive met some extremely arrogant not so smart people .

I will say this ...americans seem very arrogant in general to me .im not sure why
chicagoliz
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely not.  That is, not if they really are extremely smart and truly well-educated.  Truly smart people know and appreciate just how much they don't know.  The people I know who went to Harvard NEVER say they went to Harvard, unless they're directly asked where they went to college.  

The people who tend to be arrogant are those who merely think they're smart.  Often they didn't even go to a very good college and many times don't even know WTF they're talking about.  

Most really super-smart people are pretty humble.  Of course there are exceptions, but there are arrogant jackasses at every level of intelligence and education.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:40 AM

I consider myself a very intelligent person even though I may not be as book smart as other people. I just have a very sharp mind.

I do get aggravated with dumber people. It's just mind blowing to me how they can be so stupid.

babie113
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:41 AM
I know some really arrogant unintelligent guys its not a good combo .especially when you correct them on something .
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)