Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are Smart and Educated People More Arrogant?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

In my personal experience, I find that those who are smart and educated to be more arrogant than others. If you've ever tried to have a civil discussion with someone who is "educated" or book-smart, you will know what I mean.

I wouldn't say I'm "smart" or that I know a lot. Then again, I only have a high-school diploma. One day, I want to go to college, but that's likely to be in the distant future. I hope that once I have received my degree, I won't lose my sense of humilty. I think it's fair to say that most people are generally smart. Some are more street-smarts than book-smarts and vice versa. I think in general there is a lot people don't know and will likely never know. I think a lot of people think they know something they don't really understand (myself included). 

I think if most people were truly on the level of smarts they only think they are, they would be mind-blown!

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
Isaacsmom913
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I don't think arrogance is what your seeing but rather their education level.  I was once told in a round about way that I was arrogant because of my vocabulary "You try to make me look stupid by using big words"  

Myself, I find if I don't know a lot about a topic, or the spelling of a word, or the definition that I look it up.  This way I can hold my own in most circumstances but could never compete with a group from MENSA who would in my mind appear arroagant simply because they are brilliant...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:45 AM
I don't think education level has anything to do with how smart you are. My SO has a HS diploma and some college (no degree) and I am in a PhD program. He is significantly smarter than me. Some of the people in my PhD program, dumb as rocks.

I think more intelligent people often unknowingly come across as arrogant because the often lack people skills. But properly who are arogant on purpose come from all walks of life.
Charlie557
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:49 AM

laughing

Quoting 3JuJu3:

I minored in Google, with an emphasis in Wikipedia! 

Quoting Charlie557:

I find those who have a degree in Google to be the most arrogant of all.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Arrogance comes at all education levels.  Those that find a way (like my sil) to bring up the fact that they have 3 degrees are arrogant - despite the fact that all 3 are associates degrees.  She IS smart - but also very insecure.  She never had a chance to go to college when she was young (she's 52).  The fact she went later, and went on to secure a very high paying job, is great.  The fact she flaunts it all the time is not.

Intelligence is something you're born with.  Education is something you complete.  Both will allow you to know more than the "average" person.

And people can be arrogant about anything - their parenting, their kids, their car, their pets.  I know a great many truly intelligent people, who are also very educated.  I don't find them arrogant (well, ok, some of them).  But it's not their education or intelligence that makes them that way.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:11 AM
I have a dual masters degree. I am far from arrogant.
SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm smart, educated and arrogant. I'm okay with it.
jellybeanjean
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Sometimes. But I think they would be assholes if they were stupid too. Also a really intelligent person will have some tact.....and if arrogant at least amusing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:16 AM
What an idiodic generalization. I think you are confusing arrogance with confidence.
Maybe you are self concious because you never furthered your education?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:16 AM

It kind of reminds me of that one episode of Golden Girls when Dorothy tried out for Jeopardy but failed to make the cut because she let her arrogance get in the way of good sportsmanship. 

jellybeanjean
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:19 AM

If someone is just straight up arrogant without some other quality to buffer that uselessness, then I'm sorry but that person is an idiot. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)