Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think this was extremely rude and tacky. What do you think?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 67 Replies

Yesterday, my dd received an invitation to a friend's 9th birthday party.  Later on that night, the girl called our house just to tell me that she wanted cash for her birthday.   Why would her parents allow her to do that?  I would never have allowed my dd to call all of her friends to request cash.  I mean, if they ask then go and tell them.  Otherwise,   I think it's rude and tacky.   Would you allow it?

Since many have wondered about this, I really think her parents knew and didn't mind.  The reason I think this is because last year, the same girl actually had it printed on her birthday invitations that she wanted money as a gift.  Her mother is the ones who made the cards.  Also, I have heard that she called every one of the 10 kids she invitied.  I have a hard time believing that she'd be able to sneak those 10 phone calls in one night.  

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
southern.momof2
by Pirate on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:06 AM
2 moms liked this
Wow! Definitely rude and I would never allow my child to do something like that.
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:06 AM
I'd probably cancel the party if I found out.
That's extremely rude and would never happen here.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:07 AM
I always give cash.

But no I wouldn't allow my kid to call and request it.
JayeC2
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:07 AM

I wouldn't allow my kids to ask for a certain gift from FAMILY, let alone friends.  If the guest ASKS what you want, it's cool to give some ideas, but otherwise, no.  Rude and tacky.

lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:07 AM

No, I wouldn't and I agree with you that it's completely rude and tacky.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Yes, definitely rude and tacky.  You don't tell people what to get you.

ladybugchick317
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:09 AM

I would not allow it. Now we did have a bday party for my Aunt (she was mentally and physically handicapped and had breast cancer, it was her last bday) and on the invitation we asked to make donations in her name to the local breast cancer center.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:09 AM

If I found out my son did that, he would be in big trouble. We always tell him to be happy with what he gets, if he really wants we can try to exchange it at a store but when someone hands you a gift, smile and say thank you even if it's something you didn't want.

bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, it was tacky & rude but I would assume the parents maybe didn't know.
kgbm13
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Maybe call the parent and see if the child is asking so she can get a bigger gift she will use vs many small ones she won't or even that she may be donating to a non profit.  Don't jump to a conclusion before gathering information.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)