Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I've had it with him!!

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:06 AM
  • 8 Replies
My DS, 5 1/2 has been a nightmare since last week and it's been getting worse this week.

Last week, I was told he was in another boys face (not angry from what the teacher told me) while he was supposed to be doing his seat work. That's totally uncharacteristic for my son. I'm the last person to ever say, "My child would never do x,y,z." but my child is very passive so I don't think it was him being mean. At least, I'm hoping not. I digress.

This week he has been hell. Totally being disrespectful, telling me he doesn't like me for telling him he can't do something. Spanking me and telling me I'm not being nice......I only spank for severe infractions (disrespect is one) and he hasn't had a spanking in almost a year. It's not something I do and is an absolute last resort. He got two that night!

He's not listening, walking away as I'm trying to tell him things, purposefully doing things he's not supposed to and his teacher told me he got in the kids face again yesterday. I've HAD IT!

So.....what should I do?

So far my only idea is to take away his toys, his DVD's (particularly Frozen), his brand new nike soccer ball that he adores, and his 3DSxL and make him do chores and homework from the time he comes home from school, eat snack and dinner, bathe, snack and bed and making him earn everything back one by one.

Does that seem too harsh? He needs to realize that the world doesn't revolve around him and his behavior is absolutely intolerable.

by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
BeAmour
by Tonya on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:07 AM
I'm gonna post and run but I'll be back in a little bit to read and answer replies.
bethpelle
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I would do the same thing. My son recently turned 6 and it's been interesting to say the least. It's definiteky the time to test the boundaries
Texascandee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Been years since I had one that age in the house but went through that with my gs.  I think at that age they are testing to see how far they can push.  Stand your ground and he will get the message his behavior will not be tolerated.  Good luck

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd dig a little deeper. If its out of character I'd try to see what is going on at school or when you're not around.
jcm28
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:14 AM
Nothen is to harsh
CorpCityGrl
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Nope.  He needs to learn there are consequences to his behavior, but I would also try to dig a little deeper.  If this behavior is wholely uncharacteristic for him maybe there is something else going on too.  So, see if while instilling this punishment, which you need to follow through with, you can get him to talk to you and open up.

AnHpuresugar
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:16 AM
It isn't the approach that I would take for this phase. Both my kids went through it in kindergarten. My son is just now getting better.

Good luck.
Sewsofun
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:19 AM

My son is 6 and has ADHD so I have to deal with that on a constant basis.  Take away any video games first, that might improve his behavior, My son can't play video games at all cause he turns into a little monster and we're not talking violent video games, just leapster educational games.  You are not being too harsh.  Also take note that bahavior problems in boys can signal a large developmental milestones he might be aproaching.  It might not even be anything you notice.  I would also ask the teacher to keep an eye on him at recess in particular and see if there is anything going on out of the ordinary to provoke this behavior.  Not saying that you should blame other kids, but perhaps he is responding to being bullied and if the teacher hasn't seen it so far, perhaps it's happening at recess or the lunchroom where there might be other teachers that aren't paying attention.  We are currently considering pretty much taking away everything that isn't his blanket or pillow, clothes and hamper.  Problem is he shares a room with his little sister at the moment so he would just play with her stuff I'm sure.  Good luck, let me know if you find anything that works!  I'm always on the hunt for a new useful trick to improve behavior

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)