Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does this make me a bad tipper?**

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 765 Replies
1 mom liked this

For the longest time I've been under the impression that 10% was the standard for tipping, unless the person goes above and beyond awesome at service or if my kids were exceptionally roudy at the restaurant and made a huge mess.  A friend of mine who was a waitress for the years shamed me when we went out together because she said that you are supposed to tip 15%-20%.  Having been a waitress myself briefly as well as a housekeeper at a hotel, I told her I have NEVER recieved a tip that high. Ever. 

Am I a stingy tipper? What do you tip at the restaurant, salon, etc?

**Wow, featured post! To answer some of the questions rolling around in the responses. I was a waitress about 13yrs ago. I lived in a big city in the middle almost nowhere (college city which is why I was there). I only waitressed for about a year because it was so bad. I did housekeeping for two years and if you guys wanna talk stingy tippers. Let me tell ya about housekeeping. Woah Nelly. 

Anyway, thanks for all the info!! Keep it coming!! :) **

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:28 PM
4 moms liked this

I usually just leave between $3-5

MamaJess9
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:29 PM
32 moms liked this

I've always been told 15-20%.  I have a hard time believing you never recieved a tip over 10%, unless you were a really bad waitress, or the restaurant you worked in was in a very poor area.  I even give bad waitresses at least 15%.

I generally leave 20%... if service was exceptional I leave more.

Amybelle
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:30 PM
2 moms liked this

at least 20%

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:31 PM
8 moms liked this
We tip 20%+. I waitressed for years and I remember how excited I was when I would get a really good tip. Dh just likes to throw money around, lol.
Lydlou02
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:31 PM
7 moms liked this
Heck, when I asked my Mom about tipping as a kid she told me 8%. I always do ten, plus rounding up to an even dollar.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erica19791
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:31 PM

I always tip 20 percent.

sarah824
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:31 PM

15-20% is normal at a restaurant. I do not tip hotel staff unless it is a fancy hotel. Salon usually gets between 10-15% depending on what I am getting done.

skittleshawk
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:31 PM
4 moms liked this
You must have been a horrible waitress.holy shit I would have shamed you infront of everyone. 15 to 20 is standard
3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:31 PM
7 moms liked this
Depends on the service, but I've tipped upwards of 50% for exceptional service.
AZHOTMOM
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:32 PM
8 moms liked this

I do at least 20% unless the service was crappy. Even if the food or drinks sucked I still tip the waitress well, its not her fault the chef can't cook.

I always try to tip more than 20%, those types of jobs are hard and suck some days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)