Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teachers assigning work over spring break

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 539 Replies
4 moms liked this
The kids go on spring break next week and each have 15-20 page packets to do, per class. It's homework and worth a grade due the 31st.

Their upset obviously and I think it's good. Keeps them busy, I guess.

Anyone else's kiddo have a teacher who did this?

My kids are 6th and 8th graders. Not little grade kiddos.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PandTsmomjuly
by Florence on Mar. 19, 2014 at 3:38 PM
34 moms liked this
We don't do homework over the break. That's FAMILY time, not school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JackieGirl007
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 3:38 PM
14 moms liked this

That's such bullshit. It's called a break for a reason. I would refuse.

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Mar. 19, 2014 at 3:39 PM
4 moms liked this

At most, they will assign reading x number of minutes a day, which is never an issue for us.

CafeMom Tickers
SithMom71
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 3:40 PM
14 moms liked this
I had homework over the breaks when I was in school and sometimes so do my kids. Not a big deal if they get it done right away and then don't have to worry about it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 19, 2014 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

No surprisingly she didnt. last year they did so i expected it this year. but i just put together a ton of stuff for him to work on during the week so we can keep up the work in school. He has a speech delay so we will continue to work on what the teacher sent home and last conference she had some suggestions about his spelling and subtracting so we are working on that. 

Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Mar. 19, 2014 at 3:40 PM
13 moms liked this

If and when they do send work to do over the breaks, I toss it in the trash and send a note saying that we won't be doing that. They do plenty of work during the school year. Break time is break time.

Rlmama00
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 3:40 PM
2 moms liked this
My kids are currently on a 2 week break, with no assigned work. I'm not a fan of assigning tons of extra work over break. Many families use the time for vacations, family visits or day trips. Adding homework in just makes things difficult. Let everyone just have a break to mentally regroup.
Leissaintexas
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 3:41 PM
3 moms liked this
Schools are way overstepping their boundaries. If a parent wants to incorporate some fun learning during breaks, that's their business, the school needs to remember their place.
emilysmom8
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 3:42 PM
5 moms liked this
My daughters teacher assigned homework over their break, it wss nothing big I think it was like 5 pages totaling about 20 questions (math). Every night I had my DD do a few questions, never took her more than 10 min a night so it wasn't interfering with "family" time
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 19, 2014 at 3:43 PM
8 moms liked this
I hope they send work home with my kindergartener, he will also being doing workbooks for me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)