Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Any women police officers or prison workers here?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
I live in NC and am looking to persue a career as a police officer or an officer in a prison. I ideally id loke to work with inmates and counsel them which i know some prisons do. Where do i start? I am 20 btw.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 6:41 PM
You have to be either 21 or 25 to do either
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Criminal Justice Degree

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 6:42 PM
You need to be counsellor no a c/o or cop. People dont want to open up and talk to people trained to mistrust you and lock you up in a cage and taze you.
TwoPennies
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 6:42 PM
I'm in Nc as well, Criminal Justice degree and a fee more birthdays before they'd consider you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 6:42 PM
You need a Bachelor or higher in psychology or human services to council.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2014 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

It really depends upon what you want to do.  If you want to be a correctional officer or police officer, then I would suggest a criminal justice degree.  However, if you are looking into inmate counseling, then I would get a degree (preferably masters) in social work, criminal psychology or psychology.  Good luck!  You can do it. 

BTW-I was a cognitive facilitator within a men's max. security prison. I taught anger/stress management, problem solving, communication, feeling, etc.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 19, 2014 at 6:47 PM
I talked to someone who works in the prisons here and they told me i only had to be 21. So i would just start going to school and then go from there? I thought i had to go to the police academy?

Quoting TwoPennies: I'm in Nc as well, Criminal Justice degree and a fee more birthdays before they'd consider you.
TwoPennies
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 6:49 PM
You want to counsel right? I don't think you need the academy for that part, but I honestly don't know
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 19, 2014 at 6:50 PM
Im not saying they would but i want to work in one of those jobs.

Quoting Anonymous: You need to be counsellor no a c/o or cop. People dont want to open up and talk to people trained to mistrust you and lock you up in a cage and taze you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 19, 2014 at 6:57 PM
Thats what i would like to do, what you did but if i end up not in some way counseling than i would like to go for a CO or a cop.

Quoting Anonymous:

It really depends upon what you want to do.  If you want to be a correctional officer or police officer, then I would suggest a criminal justice degree.  However, if you are looking into inmate counseling, then I would get a degree (preferably masters) in social work, criminal psychology or psychology.  Good luck!  You can do it. 

BTW-I was a cognitive facilitator within a men's max. security prison. I taught anger/stress management, problem solving, communication, feeling, etc.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)