Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If You Are On WIC- PICS! ETA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 517 Replies
30 moms liked this

I have given myself a challenge.  For one month I plan to make at least one meal per day that feeds a family of four based almost entirely on what you can get using WIC (seasoning. spices, condiments, salad dressing etc. is not covered and will be the only items used that are not covered by WIC.)  My goal in this is to prove that you CAN in fact eat healthy and tasty food on a tight budget.

ETA: Several people have asked this....no, I do not think that you can make one per day on what you get from WIC.  *I* am going to make and (hopefully!) post one meal per day, for a month, based on what is available through WIC.  I do believe that one or two complete meals could be replaced per week, bringing the grocery budget down. 

If you are a WIC recipient, this meal will cost you less than $1.00 and feed a family of four.  If you are not on WIC, this meal will cost you roughly $7.00.  These are not per serving prices, but total cost for the whole meal.  Costs are, of course, estimates and will vary depending on where you live.

Stuffed Bell Peppers

4 green peppers halved length-wise

Filling: (this will make about five cups, use half, reserve other half for another meal)

• 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
  • 1 can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
  • 1 16 oz bag of frozen corn 
  • One cup of brown rice (I make mine with one cube of bullion to add flavor)
  • One package of taco seasoning (WIC does not cover this, cost is about .50 for store brand)
  • 1/2 cup grated cheese sprinkled on top

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 mins

Red Cabbage Salad

• Shred 1/2 a head of red cabbage
  • Cube one cucumber
  • Cube two roma tomatoes
  • Top with two slices of avocado
  • Salad dressing of your choice (WIC does not cover this, but the cost of salad dressing is nominal for an entire salad.  I used about four teaspoons for the whole salad.)

Homemade Corn Tortilla Chips

Cut two white corn tortillas into four wedges and bake at 350 degrees for 3-5 minutes.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2014 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2014 at 1:46 PM
9 moms liked this

I used to make peanut butter cornflake cookies with my WIC food, lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Thats not a meal I would eat. The peppers look good but the cabbage salad looks nasty.
kmorales7690
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 1:47 PM
14 moms liked this
This is a great thing to post!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 20, 2014 at 1:48 PM
4 moms liked this

SO then substitute for a salad you WOULD eat.  I happen to like red cabbage, but you just as easily make a green salad. 

Quoting Anonymous: Thats not a meal I would eat. The peppers look good but the cabbage salad looks nasty.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2014 at 1:52 PM
Okay salad is yummy. :-) I have been craving salad.

Quoting Anonymous:

SO then substitute for a salad you WOULD eat.  I happen to like red cabbage, but you just as easily make a green salad. 

Quoting Anonymous: Thats not a meal I would eat. The peppers look good but the cabbage salad looks nasty.

ShannaBee
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 1:54 PM
10 moms liked this
Great post. I'm not on WIC but would so jot down a few of these cheap recipes.
ilovemykids323
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

great idea... not a meal I'd make though. I dont get wick but always looking for cheap healthy easy meals :)

mich2.0
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Or you could just look at the numerous bloggers and I think even tv personalities that have done this. lol 

BobKitten13
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 1:58 PM

This is actually a good idea. Are you going to keep posting in this one or are you going to make a new post each time?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2014 at 2:00 PM
8 moms liked this

That's a good meal for an adult, but what toddler do you know that would eat that? None that I know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)