Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

School Nurse/ Work situation....How would you feel?

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:14 PM
  • 29 Replies

So, I work for a company that works inside the public schools serving lunches. I sub at the various schools in the city. We were told when we got hired, no cell phones are to be on us (which is understandable) and if we have any emergencies to have them call the Main office (of the company) and they will send the call in to whatever school we were at that day.     I left work today to 4 missed calls and a message from my son's school nurse that he has a severe rash on his face and stomach pains. She said she called my work number and they told her I wasn't allowed any personal phone calls!   I called them and asked why the call wasn't passed through, "Oh, we are sorry we told them she can't recieve any personal phone calls".   I told her I won't be in tomorrow since I can't get him seen at the dr. until the morning....I am livid and truly considering not returning to work.   

by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:16 PM

That's pretty crappy of them. That personal call was a medical need for your child.

PhantomRose88
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Quoting KairisMama:

That's pretty crappy of them. That personal call was a medical need for your child.

Exactly. I keep thinking what if was something more severe like an asthma attack or he broke an arm or leg.  She had no reason as to why the call wasn't put through. 

mes_deux_amours
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:19 PM
I take it that this is a policy you were unaware of? Maybe I missed it, but why not just have them reach you on your cell and keep it on vibrate?
frenzied
by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:20 PM

I'd be pissed to high heaven.  It think it's time they re-visit their phone call use especially if their employees are parents.  

did you have other emergency contacts that the school nurse could call so your son wasn't at school all day?

PhantomRose88
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Quoting mes_deux_amours: I take it that this is a policy you were unaware of? Maybe I missed it, but why not just have them reach you on your cell and keep it on vibrate?

I explained in my OP, we are not to have our cell phones on us while working and were told the policy was to have them call the office and they will transfer the call through. I followed their "policy".  

mes_deux_amours
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:24 PM
Well then that's just awful. I'd be upset too.

Quoting PhantomRose88:

Quoting mes_deux_amours: I take it that this is a policy you were unaware of? Maybe I missed it, but why not just have them reach you on your cell and keep it on vibrate?

I explained in my OP, we are not to have our cell phones on us while working and were told the policy was to have them call the office and they will transfer the call through. I followed their "policy".  

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd be keeping a cell phone on me on vibrate from now on.

wamom223
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

That is crap and before you quit you need to make sure they understand how wrong they were, in fact they may have even broken a law.  There is no way the school nurse called and didn't identify herself which would indicate it isn't a 'personal call.'  

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Yeah I wouldn't be following their 'no cell' policy any more, screw that.

Quoting PhantomRose88:

JuneCleaver256
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:26 PM
Why not keep a cell on vibrate in your pocket?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN