Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Only 5 and recommending braces! EDIT-added pic PAGE 34

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 378 Replies
1 mom liked this

My son Is 5 (turns 6 in June) and his dentist has been saying he will need braces when he gets a little bit older. She wants him to see an orthodontist by the age of 7, if not earlier. He hasn't even lost a tooth yet! He's so young still. Can a dentist really predict what the adult teeth are going to do? Does messed up baby teeth always mean messed up adult teeth? He has a "broadie bite" and a over bite. None of his teeth meet, his upper teeth go over his Bottom teeth completely. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Not his teeth but this is what it looks like

KayelynnsMama
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this

If his bite is that bad then he would probably need braces whether his teeth were straight or not, I'd assume. Could be wrong though. I'm not sure if they have a different way to correct it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes! My son is 3 and they recommended him braces because he has an underbite
iamnameless
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:20 AM
They already told me my girls will need braces. The one they told me that at 4 she only 5 now the other is 2 and they told me a couple of weeks ago. My son they said may needc them but they are more worried right now about his extra set of front teeth. He needs to get into an oral surgeon soon. He is 7 and has lost 6teeth. My hubby has perfect teeth. I have terrible teeth.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I've never heard of a child under 10 being told they will need braces.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:24 AM
My dd sent us to an orthodontist at 7 But the orthodontist told us not to put them on her until she has lost most of her baby teeth. He told us that if they do it that soon she may need another set of braces. We are going back this year 9 yes old because she only has 1 baby tooth left .
eclaudin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:26 AM
6 moms liked this
A lot of times braces don't work for bite problems. I would wait it out. Sometimes its not as bad as it seems, just people trying to make money. I have one tooth that overlaps another slightly, otherwise my teeth are perfectly straight. After I had to have a tooth pulled, I figured since I now had some extra room in my mouth, it might be possible to straighten it. The dentist jumped all over that like, "Yes, you should SO get braces!" I laughed in his face - braces at 34 for one slightly crooked tooth??? Yeah, right!!!
DensHag
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:27 AM

They knew from the time my DD was 4 she would need braces.  They waited until her permanent teeth came in, though,  and she got braces in 6th grade.  I think they can tell by the jaw and bite even with baby teeth if they will be needed.  I had braces as a kid, DH didn't, and our younger DD didn't need them.  Just depends on the kid.  They are now 19 and 22 and both have beautiful teeth!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:29 AM
My daughter had to have a spacer put in at 7 and she will need braces at 12-14 years old because she has two teeth on top that will not come in. So yes they can sometimes tell
momof2ex1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:29 AM
3 moms liked this
He will need his palate expanded. He probably has a cross bite. Best to fix it before the bones fuse together in the top. Won't know if he needs braces until he has his actual permanent teeth but he will probably need some corrections to his bite before his teeth come in. My dd got her expander when she was 10. The only reason I waited was finances. It's expensive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)