Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can I move to the south without...ETA.#2

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 372 Replies

Having to deal with southerners? My DH and I have been considering a move to the south for a long time. We often visit and every time I go down there I have a negative experience with a (random)Southern person. We have family down there and they say it is because I act to Northern. I really want to move to the south. I really don't want to put up with southern people. I can't win. Is it just a get use to it kind of thing? The thought of adopting southern accent makes me want to puke too. I totally know I'm being shallow. It makes me sad. I just can't get over these irrational feelings.

****I WANT to like Southerners. I want to believe that people everywhere can be assholes and that I've just had bad expriences. It just seems to me anyway that people down there are more concerned with what others are doing. There is a lot less care when moving around do'ing your day to day stuff in the North it seems. It is much faster paced. So I admit I am being a bit over the top about a lot of it. Though some of it is for comedic dramatic effect. I really am irrationally paranoid about moving to the South and not being accepted because of my fast paced progressive loud mouthed female ways.******

I'm more than sure I'm being irrational. The slower pace and people waving to you as you pass them on a two way street will always be weird to me. I'm use the a hustle bustle mind set. Keep your head down, get in get out, and the less human interaction the better. The South has its redeeming qualities and there are things I love about it. I'm just gonna put on my big girl panties and take it one day at a time. I'm not going to change the way I talk to fit in. I'm just not all about the accent rubbing off. Either way I think from all the replies I've realized that negative begets negative. If I go into it with a shitty attitude I'm likely to sabotage my own experience. Here's to a positive mind set. Cheers

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:18 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:18 AM
2 moms liked this
What the hell is wrong with us.
AustinsMommy007
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:19 AM
I say oh for it. I'm sure you'll adjust
The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:19 AM
2 moms liked this

You will find assholes anywhere...and you don't have to adopt a southern accent. Do people really do that?

Sekirei
by LoKitty on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope... you can't

which is why I am trying so damn hard to move back up north. Hateful here. >.>

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
What's wrong from southern people ? I love southern people !!!' An I'm from California
Anonymous
Lmao you have fun with that!
Anonymous

I dont think its a requirement to adopt a southern accent.

Although when my sister moved south, she automatically "acquired" one. Dumbest thing ever...its so fake. She wants people to think she's "from there"...and she isnt.

TS9509
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:21 AM
9 moms liked this
I hate that you have had a negative experience in the past but as long as you have that attitude about the south that will be the only experience you have.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:21 AM
Lmao
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)