Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Autistic kid gets removed from a movie theater- edit to add info I forgot

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:14 PM
  • 117 Replies

From what I heard, when the movie started the kid started to yell because he got scared.  The mom wanted to stay because she thought he'd calm down.  A couple beside her leaned over and asked, " Can you keep him quiet?"  

The mother said, " He's autistic."  The woman said, " I understand but we are hear to enjoy the movie so please keep him quiet."  When that didn't work and he kept yelling, the man with the woman told the mother if she didn't get him under control, he would gt the manager.  Still the kid yelled so the men got the manager. She was asked by the manager to keep him quiet and when that still didn't work, people were getting mad. Finally the manager told the mother that she needed to leave.

As the mother with the child started to walk out, people started to cheer.  She got very upset and mad.

Thoughts?  Was the mother in the wrong for not removing him when asked nicely?  Should the people just sucked it up because he was SN?  What would you have done?

EDIT: The mother took to the internet and the media, whining and bitching about how her son should have been allowed to stay there.  Someone saw her story is going to rent out the theater for a showing of a movie and only allow SN kids to come and see the movie.  Thoughts on that?

by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WinterQueen
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:16 PM

bump

toopicky429
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:16 PM
13 moms liked this
The mother was wrong. People pay to see the movie, not hear someone yelling the entire time. Him being autistic has nothing to do with this. The mother should have removed him from the situation when he didn't calm down.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:17 PM
I dont want aloud kid during the movie I paid a lot of money for, autistic or not
ilovemykids323
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

the mother should have removed him, calmed him down and came back in or left altogether. people should be able to enjoy movies at the movie theather, they asked nicely. Others shouldn't have to suck it up. If it was me I would have removed him calmed him down or left.

neveragain17
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:17 PM
I wouldn't take him if he was autistic. That's just me. I'm not saying that he shouldn't be allowed at all just saying I wouldn't do that.
Aphotic.Yumni
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:18 PM
5 moms liked this

Within 30 to 60 second if he wouldn't/couldn't be quiet she should have removed him. Taken a break to let him get himself back under control and tried again.  If he still couldn't stay quiet, they should have left without being asked.  

My child's Autistic and that's never an excuse to allow him to disturb others. He too has to follow the rules and laws of society and behave accordingly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Well the crowd shouldn't have cheered but the mother should have left when asked since her child obviously wasn't calming. 

WinterQueen
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:18 PM

I would have been pissed too and I would have complained

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this
With concessions a movie costs my family of 5 about $60. We rarely go. I would be pissed and would clap too!
mojogirl
by Gunnery Sgt Hartman on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:19 PM
3 moms liked this

the mother should have removed him the moment he became a nuisance to the paying folks around him.

i do think the cheering part was pretty tacky and insensitive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)