Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does this mean developmental delays?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

I was reading online and did not realize the moro (startle) reflex is supposed to be gone by 3 months old or it could mean neurological problems. My son is almost 5 months old now and still has this reflex. He doesnt really startle in his sleep much, its more when he is scared. If we pick him up and hold him up in the air he sometimes gets scared (or when we are walking down the stairs). Im thinking he is getting that falling feeling and gets scared (which I dont blame him of course). But he will throw his arms out and his whole body kind of freezes and he gets this scared look on his face and starts to scream. Im just worried that he is still having this reflex when its supposed to be gone at 3 months.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2014 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Talk to his doctor.   Heck I know adults that go stiff when they are frightened or they get tensed up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 21, 2014 at 6:51 PM
Some babies take a little longer than others to lose it. Mine did, she is completely fine.
Loveavision
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 6:52 PM
You don't react when you're scared?
Lydlou02
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 6:53 PM
Screaming isn't part of the reflex.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kissmiss213
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 7:07 PM

this alone would freak me out and make me take him to the dr. i would be terrified i was hurting him!

Quoting Lydlou02: Screaming isn't part of the reflex.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 21, 2014 at 7:08 PM

It doesn't necessarily mean developmental delay. If your are concerned about it, if it isn't going away by the next checkup ( probably the six month checkup) please bring it up to the pediatrician. If you see any other things that concern you, such as your child isn't sitting (even with support) by six months, seems to have floppy muscle tone, or is doing this behavior that you are posting about a lot or it seems to be increasing-anything that jumps out as odd to you, bring it up to the pediatrician and don't let them dismiss your concerns. Some kids' nervous systems just take longer to mature and that may well be the case with your baby, but if in your gut you would feel better with further testing, talk to the pedi and if you feel it is necessary you can see a neurologist as follow-up.  I'm not saying there is something wrong, I'm just saying that you should continue to watch it, and don't let it go if you feel there is a concern there. Sometimes kids can have seizure activity and different things going on and if that would be the case you don't want to let it go on untreated. Not trying to alarm you, just saying chances are that your baby is fine, but when a mom nas a concern I'd always recommend following up on it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)