Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Gym memberships

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:18 PM
  • 159 Replies

So here goes. I recently joined a gym that opened up locally. It's really a fitness and wellness center. They provide with my membership nurse evaluations, nutritionist and personal training sessions. I joined despite the hefty price tag because I think ending up with diabetes or heart disease is much more expensive... and I need the extra services to help me along. 

So, if obesity is such an issue in our country don't you think insurance companies should cover the cost of a gym membership? In the long run isn't it cost effective to help people with there struggle to keep the weight off then to cover the cost of medications to keep them alive? Either way, even if someone who joins, and is not successful I think it's worth trying. 

I know we can dig deeper into this and talk about controlling our eating and not needing to exercise, but even women who are not obese benefit from regular exercise. And some, not all, do have medical conditions... be it physiological or physical that makes it close to impossible to keep weight off without help or guidance. 

What do you think about insurance carriers helping with the cost?

by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hubris_Huntsman
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:19 PM
2 moms liked this

You don't need a gym to exercise, so no.

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:19 PM
2 moms liked this
Some do.

And they can really help by recognizing food addiction and eating disorders are real and deserve treatment.
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Quoting Hubris_Huntsman:

yperez0209
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Quoting Hubris_Huntsman:

Yes you are right, you don't need a gym to exercise, but I'm really talking about having a support system that a wellness center can offer. 

UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:21 PM
Orrrrrr people could run outside for free.
Devious333
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:22 PM
Lol I could do that for about 4 months out of the year.

Quoting UxorQuodMatris.: Orrrrrr people could run outside for free.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:22 PM
No, I don't think so. You have a doctor and you can work out for free.
Hubris_Huntsman
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:23 PM

My hunch was that most gym memberships go unused and a quick search showed 4 out of 5 go unused, another source said only 8% are used.  It'd be a big fat waste of insurance money but great for the gyms. 

Quoting yperez0209:
Quoting Hubris_Huntsman:

Yes you are right, you don't need a gym to exercise, but I'm really talking about having a support system that a wellness center can offer. 

yperez0209
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:24 PM

I've heard that some do, but I've yet to come across a plan that has that benefit. I agree with you, other addictions get much more support and recognition. When food is always around us. 

Quoting thefiregoddess: Some do. And they can really help by recognizing food addiction and eating disorders are real and deserve treatment.

Devious333
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:24 PM
When move, which we will hopefully move to or near a city, I'm hoping to find a 24 hour gym. That would be the only way I would pay for a membership. That way I could go late at night and work out. I used to be able to go to the rec center for free since I was going to a community college, but I have never paid for a membership. Dh did and he got a discount through work. I think more jobs should do that, give discounts. I think dh paid like $25 a month for his which is actually fairly cheap. We don't even have a swimming pool where I live =\ I'd be swimming a few times a week if we did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)