Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Yea so much Racism yet (edit)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies

Search
News
Weather
Sports
Video
Traffic
Health
CrimeTracker 10
Send Us News
Featured Links
Contact Us
AdChoices

LOCAL
CrimeTracker 10 10 Investigates Consumer 10 Doppler 10 Weather Send Us News 7-Day News Archive
Ohio reports high race gap in school suspensions
Friday March 21, 2014 4:30 PM
Share Tweet
WASHINGTON (AP) — Ohio is among 12 states or jurisdictions reporting a high disparity between the suspension rates of black students and white students in public schools.

That's according to a report released Friday by the Education Department's civil rights division.

The report shows that 24 percent of black male students were suspended from school at least once, compared to 7 percent for white males — or a disparity of 17 points. Nationally, the black-white gap was 14 percentage points.

Among girls, 14 percent of black students were suspended, compared to 3 percent for whites. That 11-point disparity also was higher than the national gap of 10 points.

The report is for the 2011-2012 school year and covers pre-K through 12th grade.

©2014 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Currently in Columbus
59°
Partly Cloudy
Live Doppler 10 Radar
7-Day Forecast
AdChoices

What do you think?
Which outdoor activity do you enjoy most?

Walking

Running

Biking

All of the above

None of the above

Most Popular
Police Investigating Early Morning Stabbing At Columbus Gym
NC police seek man who sucked toes at Wal-Mart
Family Sues Over Inmate's Death At Franklin County Jail
Community Rallying To Stop Spike In Possible Heroin Deaths
Knox County Shelter Volunteers Fight To Save Dog Scheduled To Be Put Down
AdChoices

Today
FULL SCHEDULE

7:00 CBS NCAA Basketball Championship - Second Round - (#3: Wichita ST vs. Cal Poly) (#4: after game #3, KY vs. Kansas ST)
http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/apexchange/2014/03/21/oh--school-suspensions-ohio.html

Funny how in my area the majority of the kids are African American so yea the percentage would be higher. How do they forget to mention that part?

Edit - yet I just seen this on the news.This women only received 5 days in jail after driving with kids drunk in a school bus
Drunken school-bus driver sentenced to five days

Tia Denton
CRIME & SAFETY HEADLINES

Police shoot man on East Side
Man accused of firing at newspaper carriers
No charges for judge in pedestrian’s death
MORE CRIME&SAFETY
CRIME STOPPERS

Theft at Burger King involved TV, frozen patties
Clues sought in Madison County grocery-store robbery
MORE CRIMESTOPPERS
CRIME DATABASES

Columbus homicides
Ohio's death row
FBI crime statistics
MORE DATABASES
CONTINUING STORIES

Killers among us: Unsolved homicides
Serious crime arrests at 10-year low
MORE ONGOING STORIES
LOCAL STORIES FROM THISWEEK

City, schools expected to OK tax-increment financing pact for Dublin's Bridge Street District
Worthington man's cancer fight helped determine daughters' risk
Survey: Westerville residents like parks, don't mind PROS tax
Otterbein student had 'big heart' for animals
Liberty Township zoning inspector steps down after fence-height flap
'Change is coming' to 48 acres near I-270, Davidson in Hilliard
Dublin third-grader's fundraising effort breaks school record
By John Futty
The Columbus Dispatch • Wednesday February 12, 2014 6:22 AM
Comments: 1 Share Tweet
Dion and Angela Williams wanted the maximum penalty for a former Columbus school-bus driver whose decision to drive the bus while drunk left their 12-year-old son with whiplash and a concussion.

After the driver, Tia Denton, was sentenced yesterday to five days in jail and two years of probation, they accepted the decision with quiet resignation.

“I respect the judge’s decision,” Mrs. Williams said outside the courtroom. “As far as satisfaction, I don’t know yet. We’re still trying to process everything.”

Her husband said he’ll be satisfied “if this never happens again to another Columbus school student.”

There were several children on the bus that Denton was driving while she was drunk. This was the first mention in court that at least one had been injured.

Tia Denton, 51, pleaded guilty in December to misdemeanor charges of drunken driving and endangering children.

Columbus police stopped her on Nov. 25 for driving erratically on the South Side as she was taking students home from Southwood Elementary School. A breath test recorded a 0.216 percent blood-alcohol level. In Ohio, it is illegal to drive at 0.08 percent or above.

Franklin County Municipal Judge Paul Herbert sentenced her to the maximum 180 days in jail on each of the two counts, then suspended all but five days.

In addition to probation, Herbert fined Denton $375 plus court costs and suspended her driver’s license for one year, retroactive to her arrest in November.

Herbert said that his sentence was influenced by Denton’s cooperation with police, her level of remorse and her lack of a prior record.

As a condition of her probation, Denton must spend six months at Maryhaven’s in-patient treatment program for alcohol addiction.

She turned toward the Williamses to apologize.

“I cannot express my regret and my remorse for what I have cost you and your children and families who are not represented here in court,” she said.

She also apologized to the Columbus schools, saying, “They gave me a position of trust and I betrayed it.”

In a statement read in court, the Williamses said that Denton’s erratic driving caused their son’s head to strike the back of his seat and a bus window. Doctors kept him home from school for a month to recover from his injuries, but he still suffers from headaches and insomnia, they said.

“It is by God’s grace that these children ever made it home to their families at all,” Mr. Williams said.

Lara Baker-Morrish, the city’s chief prosecutor, told the judge that jail time was warranted for what she called “the most-egregious form of this offense.”

She said Denton told police that she had been drinking until 3 a.m. before driving her morning route, then bought a bottle of whiskey at 9 a.m. Officers found the partially consumed bottle of Canadian Mist on the bus.

A charge of having an open container of alcohol was dismissed as part of her plea.

Denton quit her bus-driving job in December. She had been hired last summer and previously worked for First Student, the private busing contractor used by the Columbus district before it began running its own busing program again last year.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:44 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:45 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:45 PM
4 moms liked this
Whoever causes the most trouble gets into the most trouble.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:48 PM

shakes head sadly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:50 PM

If the black kids are bad they should just get a free pass I guess?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:06 PM
Right

Quoting Anonymous:

If the black kids are bad they should just get a free pass I guess?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:06 PM
Bump
Outspoken.Mime
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

So which side are you arguing?  That black kids are more likely than whites to get a harsher punishment, or any at all.......

Or are you saying that black kids misbehave more?

That statistic could lead to either of those conclusions.  On its own it proves neither.

zianneaaliyah
by 4ever LMFAO on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm not understanding what this has to do with racism? Is this a spin-off?

Hottmomma607
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah I read it slow 3x's and still missing the damn point!
So I'm gonna wait for the answers. :-P

Quoting Outspoken.Mime:

So which side are you arguing?  That black kids are more likely than whites to get a harsher punishment, or any at all.......

Or are you saying that black kids misbehave more?

That statistic could lead to either of those conclusions.  On its own it proves neither.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN