Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

PA SHOULD be shameful

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 301 Replies
12 moms liked this

I think FS/TANF/Medicaid/etc are a great programs and should be available to those in need. But I also think that it SHOULD be shameful to need them. I think people should be humiliated to have to use them. I'm not advocating active shaming, but those who aren't able to feed their own children should have the grace to be embarrassed about it. 

I don't say this as someone who has never understood need. I made a bad decision.  Got pregnant as a teenager, and he left. I had to forfeit my scholarship, leave school, and figure life out with a child to support. I didn't qualify for SNAP, but I was on TANF for 5 months or so while I found a job and WIC while he was an infant. I went into debt paying for school, and was on Medicaid while I was in school to get a job that provided health insurance. And yes, it was embarrassing to admit that I couldn't provide for my own child. It was incentive to get OFF of those programs, to be self-sufficient, to take care of the life that I chose to bring in to this world.

I understand that there are reasons that people have temporary need, but I still think that it should be a shameful thing. Shame is a motivator. Don't be content to be reliant on welfare. Be embarrassed and work hard to get off!  

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Oh shit......

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:59 PM
3 moms liked this

I know *I* would be ashamed, but many aren't.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Aren't the TANF income limits far, far lower than the SNAP income limits?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:59 PM
2 moms liked this

You are trying to bump your rank, aren't you?  Clever girl...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:01 PM
4 moms liked this
Geez OP, I hope you never get hit by that karma bus and find yourself in hard times.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Yes, but I lived with my parents. SNAP requires household income, TANF is family income (at least in my state). I used the $200/month to pay for daycare while I job hunted. 

Quoting Anonymous: Aren't the TANF income limits far, far lower than the SNAP income limits?

the_dude
by abides on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:01 PM
6 moms liked this
And the permanently disabled?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:01 PM

This SN is only ever anonymous. I assumed that posting anon wouldnt' count towards rank. 

Quoting Anonymous:

You are trying to bump your rank, aren't you?  Clever girl...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:02 PM

You are the exception to the rule. I work in retail, and I can tell you VERY few are ashamed. In fact, most are proud, and have apparently decided to make PA their career of choice.

Angelicembrace
by The Dorkfish on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Depends.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)