Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think autism is overly diagnosed

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 56 Replies
I have two kids from my lest married and pregnant with mine and dh first together . I'm older now and worried about autism in our baby . What are your feelings about autism and age of mom and dad and do you think that it's overly used for other problems ? I'm not bashing families with this , I just don't remember so many being affected by this when I was pregnant with my other two ..
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2014 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I am an autism mom but I do see both sides.  My son is more on the severe side totally nonverbal and has a hard time with just about everything, and doesn't use imaginative play or anything. Then I see other moms who say their kids are too, but they are out playing with other kids and having conversations with their kids but then they have tantrums. My son despite all his delays and challenges barely meltdown s over thing because we have techniques in place to calm him. 

So yes I do believe it is overly dx, but I also believe there are many real cases out there. Age had no play in min were where I was 25 when I got pregnant. 

mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:13 AM
2 moms liked this
I believe that autism is a real condition, but I also believe that it's way over diagnosed.
chairhead28
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:14 AM
2 moms liked this
My son is a high-functioning autistic. He has ADHD, OCD and SPD. My daughter, born 16 months after him, is neuro-typical.
My ex-husband (after dealing with my son's issues) mimics a lot of the same traits my son has (socially inept, introvert, extremely intelligent, lack or sympathy and empathy, etc.). So, for me, I think there are genetic factors. I have OCD and ADHD, my father had OCD.
These disorders have been around for an EXTREMELY long time -- but weren't treated properly and psychiatrists didn't have as much information, studies, tests, etc. to determine certain disorders.

Do I think parents over diagnose their children? Yes, I do. However, to get an IEP or 504 plan, to get services like ST, OT, CBRS, etc., you need more than "oh I think my kid is autistic because he likes to color-coordinate his blocks" to get actual help and resources.

I don't know if this helped, but, it's JMO.
seraphimsong
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:16 AM
This is how I feel as well

Quoting mrsrodgers0703: I believe that autism is a real condition, but I also believe that it's way over diagnosed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:21 AM
Thank you yes it helped . I also have OCD with panic disorder . When can a baby child be tested for autism ?

Quoting chairhead28: My son is a high-functioning autistic. He has ADHD, OCD and SPD. My daughter, born 16 months after him, is neuro-typical.
My ex-husband (after dealing with my son's issues) mimics a lot of the same traits my son has (socially inept, introvert, extremely intelligent, lack or sympathy and empathy, etc.). So, for me, I think there are genetic factors. I have OCD and ADHD, my father had OCD.
These disorders have been around for an EXTREMELY long time -- but weren't treated properly and psychiatrists didn't have as much information, studies, tests, etc. to determine certain disorders.

Do I think parents over diagnose their children? Yes, I do. However, to get an IEP or 504 plan, to get services like ST, OT, CBRS, etc., you need more than "oh I think my kid is autistic because he likes to color-coordinate his blocks" to get actual help and resources.

I don't know if this helped, but, it's JMO.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:22 AM
I feel it's real also .. That why I'm worried about my baby .

Quoting mrsrodgers0703: I believe that autism is a real condition, but I also believe that it's way over diagnosed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:23 AM

keep in mind the diagnosis has changed, making for more people being diagnosed

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:24 AM
2 moms liked this

no. not really. I think a lot of people" self diagnose" but an actual diagnosis by a pedi and team is pretty concrete. They take a LOT of information to come up with a diagnosis

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:24 AM

yes. my kid isnt speaking spanish.

doctor- he has autism lets medicate him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)