Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What car seat doesn't have the option to use a seatbelt?

Posted by   + Show Post

I barely got a chance to read that post and it was gone. So help me out. Am I too old school? Every carseat I ever had you could strap in with a seatbelt. As a matter of fact, LATCH had just come out when I had my oldest. What was that chicks problem exactly?

by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Replies (21-30):
Ilaynasmommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:11 PM
It disappeared? She just realized she wasn't as superior as she thought. Probably read the first page of comments, googled it, realized she looked like an idiot, and deleted it. Betcha she won't apologize to her neighbor though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darcibeisheim
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:15 PM
My cousin had an infant seat, I think it was an evenflo, that had to be used with the base. You could not just strap in the seat itself.
lenashark
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:17 PM

The OP said that she just placed the car seat on the backseat, that was it, as in she did not properly install it with the seat belt using the locking belt feature, making sure it was parallel to the street, and checking that it can't move more than an inch side to side. Heck, OP might have an older car that does not have the locking feature in which case the base would be needed. Also, latch is statistically more likely to be safer, not because it is safer in itself, but because since the base is already attached there is less likely to be an error when you put the car seat in.

wymama610
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:17 PM

We are seat twins :)

i only used the Chicco a couple months, baby hated it. She would scream the whole time she was in the car. :/

the Britax is freakin awesome and we both love it :)

Quoting rfhsure: I had the chicco keyfit infant seat. It has notches in it that allow you to use the seat without the base. I never did though. The manual recommends to always use the base if you have the option. Its a good feature though. Now I have the Britax marathon 70 and it doesn't have a base at all. You just buckle in the entire seat.

wymama610
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Quoting lenashark:

The OP said that she just placed the car seat on the backseat, that was it, as in she did not properly install it with the seat belt using the locking belt feature, making sure it was parallel to the street, and checking that it can't move more than an inch side to side. Heck, OP might have an older car that does not have the locking feature in which case the base would be needed. Also, latch is statistically more likely to be safer, not because it is safer in itself, but because since the base is already attached there is less likely to be an error when you put the car seat in.

How would that work? If the car was that old it wouldn't have LATCH hooks either. If the lady wasn't buckling it in at all, that's a whole other issue. I didn't get to read much of it so I got that the OP was just not thinking the seatbelt would work.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:22 PM

You don't need a base for an infant seat at all. If your car doesn't have locking seat belts, or the LATCH system - you use a locking clip to secure the belt.

The OP realised she was wrong and deleted her post.

Quoting lenashark:

lenashark
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:23 PM

OP specifically said that she just plopped it on the back seat, so it was clear that she was not properly installing it with the seat belt. Latch became required in 2002, but they still had it in many cars before that date, before all cars were made with locking featured seat belts.

Quoting wymama610:

Quoting lenashark:

How would that work? If the car was that old it wouldn't have LATCH hooks either. If the lady wasn't buckling it in at all, that's a whole other issue. I didn't get to read much of it so I got that the OP was just not thinking the seatbelt would work.

lenashark
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Unless you are psychic, you don't know that. The OP specifically said that her neighbor just plopped the seat on the backseat, as in she did not properly install it with the seat belt or anything. OP also might not have a locking clip just lying around.

Quoting Randi02:

You don't need a base for an infant seat at all. If your car doesn't have locking seat belts, or the LATCH system - you use a locking clip to secure the belt.

Quoting lenashark:

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:28 PM

She said she put it down on the seat with no base, that she said she would just use the seat belt.

Since she deleted her post after everyone told her you are able to install those seats without a base, I'm betting she knows that she had no clue what she was talking about.

Quoting lenashark:

Unless you are psychic, you don't know that. The OP specifically said that her neighbor just plopped the seat on the backseat, as in she did not properly install it with the seat belt or anything. OP also might not have a locking clip just lying around.

Quoting Randi02:

Quoting lenashark:

MommynMonster
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:30 PM
There are isofix seats from Europe that have a frame that clips onto the anchors. I don't think they can use a belt
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)