Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How old do you think kids should be before they "get up" on their own

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies

Specifically, how old do you think they should be before they can handle pouring some cereal and grabbing an apple/orange on their own for breakfast?

I had a friend say that he thinks my three year old should be able to handle using a cereal dispenser and pouring a cup of milk on it. IDK... My five year old, maybe... 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 23, 2014 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Roo1234
by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this
It kids started doing it around 3, but they don't like milk in their cereal so pouring was never an issue. I guess it depends in what you teach them.

I should add that "can" and "should" are two different things. Bring able to do something, and making them responsible for it are very different
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 23, 2014 at 8:03 AM
2 moms liked this
I was chewed out on here for letting my 8&5 year old run inside to change clothes while I cleaned out my car about a year ago.

So, I'm not answering this question.

People in here are crazy!
MrsViau
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 8:03 AM
I think 3 is to young, I agree, 5 maybe. But maybe a little older. I don't mind getting up with my son. It's not a big deal to me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 23, 2014 at 8:05 AM
My oldest wasn't doing it till six but he's spacey. My youngest might manage by three, she's only one but she's very independent for her age.
Teeshann
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 8:05 AM

i don't remember when my kids started fixing their own breakfast. my 6 and 8 year old can fix their own oatmeal. i taught them how to use the microwave but i still watch what they are doing. make sure they don't put in too much water and such.

my 2 year old will get the cereal container or box and get herself some cereal if she's hungry. she gets a little bowl or cup and puts her hand in and fills up the cup. made me laugh. she is very self reliant. she's been trying to put her own pants on in the morning. usually ends up with me helping her but she wants to do it herself.

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 8:06 AM
I say 6. I don't think my 4 yo is capable of making breakfast for himself yet. My 6 yo could do cereal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 23, 2014 at 8:06 AM
I let my eight year old go in the house alone if his sister is napping in the car. He's done it for over an hour before and made himself meals while I'm in the driveway. Clearly I need to turn myself in to CPS.

Quoting Anonymous: I was chewed out on here for letting my 8&5 year old run inside to change clothes while I cleaned out my car about a year ago.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 23, 2014 at 8:08 AM

I'd be lying out my ears if I said that it never bothered me to be up at the buttcrack of dawn to feed the kids. I work evenings and my shifts have been getting done later and later. Sometimes I just dont want to be up at 530... 

But yeah, 3, I have to give her two napkins at breakfast she's so messy! I can just about imagine!

Quoting MrsViau: I think 3 is to young, I agree, 5 maybe. But maybe a little older. I don't mind getting up with my son. It's not a big deal to me.

MrsViau
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 8:09 AM
Oh wow. Yea, I don't blame you there. I'm a stay at home mom and my son wakes up around 8 so that's ok to me. My newborn will wake up at 630 for a bottle and goes back to sleep until her brother wakes up.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd be lying out my ears if I said that it never bothered me to be up at the buttcrack of dawn to feed the kids. I work evenings and my shifts have been getting done later and later. Sometimes I just dont want to be up at 530... 

But yeah, 3, I have to give her two napkins at breakfast she's so messy! I can just about imagine!

Quoting MrsViau: I think 3 is to young, I agree, 5 maybe. But maybe a little older. I don't mind getting up with my son. It's not a big deal to me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 23, 2014 at 8:10 AM
A neighbor called on me once. We share a back yard. I let my 6 year old walk home (through our back yards) and go inside without me while she and I chatted. We talked about 10 minutes.

An hour after I got home I heard a knock...

Quoting Anonymous: I let my eight year old go in the house alone if his sister is napping in the car. He's done it for over an hour before and made himself meals while I'm in the driveway. Clearly I need to turn myself in to CPS.

Quoting Anonymous: I was chewed out on here for letting my 8&5 year old run inside to change clothes while I cleaned out my car about a year ago.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN