Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anyone Ever "Sneak" an Over 2 Child on a Plane as a Lap Baby?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 98 Replies

I have a work trip coming up in a few weeks to a fun city DH and I have been wanting to visit.  He decided to come along even though the cost of his plane ticket is really pushing it for us. 

What I didn't find out until yesterday was that he did not purchase a ticket for DS, age 3.  He plans to bring DS on the plane as a "lap baby" because another plane ticket would be nearly $800.00.

I am exploding with stress about this.  First, it feels wrong, but we also really can't afford another $800.00 nor can we get DH's ticket refunded.  Second, what if they find out DS is over 2 (the cut off for lap flying)?

DH proposes we take DS to the airport and try to get him on the plane and have his mom/ my MIL waiting in case DS can't get on the plane.  I am NOT ok with this.  I would never leave my son with MIL for more than a few hours - NOT several days.  Plus, it would be soooo hard on DS to be seperated from us in what I'm sure will be stressful circumstances.

I am so worried about this whole situation.  I was excited that DH and DS were going to come with me, and now it is nothing but a huge stress factor.

Has anyone else ever taken a child on a plane as a "lap baby" over age 2?  Do they ask for a birth cert or anything?  Any other suggestions as to how to deal with this situation?  Let's keep the bashing low-key: I know this is a stupid situation and reminding me of that is in no way helpful.

(DS is quite small for his age and can probably pass for a big 2 year old pretty easily).

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nerdymom28
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:20 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't understand...if you're flying with a "lap baby" you have to provide proof of age in the way of a birth certificate. How does your husband plan on getting past that?

sarah824
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Nope. The airline will want to see a birth certificate or something that verifies his age. I flew with DS when he was about 18 months and I had to show his shot records to prove how old he was. The airlines will not let you "sneak" them on.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
No. I havent.no one ever asks tho. Dd is very tall for her age when we went a month before her.second bday. What if you get him there and they refuse the way back???
j3st3r
by Jedi on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:21 AM

How much does he weigh?  I have no experience with "sneaking" a child over two as a lap baby but I have experienced turbulence while holding my (then 6 months old) DD.

It was really hard to hold on at one point.  Is there no way to get DS a ticket?

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:22 AM
You have to bring a birth certificate to show your child's age. It's not going to work. Find a sitter now and don't even bother bringing your son to the airport, that's not fair to him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-FancyFace-
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this
My child has always had her own seat. I would never fly with a lap baby, period.
imthatgirl0607
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:22 AM

You have to show a birth certificate for a lap child....on all airlines. 

svolkov
Ive never had to. Ive flown with all 3 of my kids as lap babies numerous times

Quoting nerdymom28:

I don't understand...if you're flying with a "lap baby" you have to provide proof of age in the way of a birth certificate. How does your husband plan on getting past that?

PinkButterfly66

Kids fly half price.  Where are you flying to that a kid's ticket is $800?

svolkov
Ive never had to. Prob more than.a dozen flights

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

You have to show a birth certificate for a lap child....on all airlines. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN