Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone Ever "Sneak" an Over 2 Child on a Plane as a Lap Baby?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 98 Replies

I have a work trip coming up in a few weeks to a fun city DH and I have been wanting to visit.  He decided to come along even though the cost of his plane ticket is really pushing it for us. 

What I didn't find out until yesterday was that he did not purchase a ticket for DS, age 3.  He plans to bring DS on the plane as a "lap baby" because another plane ticket would be nearly $800.00.

I am exploding with stress about this.  First, it feels wrong, but we also really can't afford another $800.00 nor can we get DH's ticket refunded.  Second, what if they find out DS is over 2 (the cut off for lap flying)?

DH proposes we take DS to the airport and try to get him on the plane and have his mom/ my MIL waiting in case DS can't get on the plane.  I am NOT ok with this.  I would never leave my son with MIL for more than a few hours - NOT several days.  Plus, it would be soooo hard on DS to be seperated from us in what I'm sure will be stressful circumstances.

I am so worried about this whole situation.  I was excited that DH and DS were going to come with me, and now it is nothing but a huge stress factor.

Has anyone else ever taken a child on a plane as a "lap baby" over age 2?  Do they ask for a birth cert or anything?  Any other suggestions as to how to deal with this situation?  Let's keep the bashing low-key: I know this is a stupid situation and reminding me of that is in no way helpful.

(DS is quite small for his age and can probably pass for a big 2 year old pretty easily).

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nerdymom28
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:20 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't understand...if you're flying with a "lap baby" you have to provide proof of age in the way of a birth certificate. How does your husband plan on getting past that?

sarah824
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Nope. The airline will want to see a birth certificate or something that verifies his age. I flew with DS when he was about 18 months and I had to show his shot records to prove how old he was. The airlines will not let you "sneak" them on.

svolkov
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
No. I havent.no one ever asks tho. Dd is very tall for her age when we went a month before her.second bday. What if you get him there and they refuse the way back???
j3st3r
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:21 AM

How much does he weigh?  I have no experience with "sneaking" a child over two as a lap baby but I have experienced turbulence while holding my (then 6 months old) DD.

It was really hard to hold on at one point.  Is there no way to get DS a ticket?

Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:22 AM
You have to bring a birth certificate to show your child's age. It's not going to work. Find a sitter now and don't even bother bringing your son to the airport, that's not fair to him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-FancyFace-
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this
My child has always had her own seat. I would never fly with a lap baby, period.
imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:22 AM

You have to show a birth certificate for a lap child....on all airlines. 

svolkov
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:22 AM
Ive never had to. Ive flown with all 3 of my kids as lap babies numerous times

Quoting nerdymom28:

I don't understand...if you're flying with a "lap baby" you have to provide proof of age in the way of a birth certificate. How does your husband plan on getting past that?

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Kids fly half price.  Where are you flying to that a kid's ticket is $800?

svolkov
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:22 AM
Ive never had to. Prob more than.a dozen flights

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

You have to show a birth certificate for a lap child....on all airlines. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN