Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dance studios are a rip off...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 88 Replies
I signed my 3 year old up for tap&jazz just to get her out there in a social setting, something fun to do once a week with an instructor to get her used to the whole teacher/student roles. $60 a month, whatever, sure. It was all going to good (with the exception of the instructor owing us 5 make up classes that haven't been scheduled yet) up until costume time. I mean I was prepared to probably spend around $100 because I'd heard they were pricey.

$200 !!! for 2 costumes for 2 5 minute routines in RECREATIONAL dance. This is not competitive dance. I was floored, as were most of the parents. They told us costumes had gone up this year. I'm thinking they are full of shit. These are not extravagant costumes...(pics in comments).

Is there any way to find this costumes online to see how much they really are? I want to know if the studio is adding their own charge to it.

THEN, they tell us to go back and reread our contracts because it says we agreed to pay $50 each for a video of the recital. Fuck that.

So, I'm really debating right now about just pulling her. I would HATE to do that, I don't ever want her to quit in the middle of something but wow. And she does like it while she's there but she doesn't talk about it or ask to go in between classes.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JackAttacks
by Angel on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:27 PM

no pics in replies

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Ya sorry I would NEVER pay that much.  The $60 should be more than sufficient for a 3yr old.  I would be looking into a new place. 

Pics?

cutebaby06
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Holy shit, that is spendy, but be prepared for the mosm to come in and say "Oh that's not that spendy", don't sign he rup if you don't eant to pay the price, and how dare you deny her the chance to have fun, I spend twice that on one costume for my kid".

lanceandhailey
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:29 PM
2 moms liked this

No one said dance was cheap :)

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:29 PM
That is excessive for a 3 yo.
I would be strongly considering backing out and finding a new place.
NESmith63
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:29 PM
3 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

That's def a bit high. I pay $84 a month for my DD's 2 dance classes per week. (45 min classes each). Her costumes were $120 ($60 for each one) and her DVD for her recital is free. Tickets for the recital are $13 each I believe. Her costumes are pretty cute and I love her studio so I am happy to pay it.

This is her tap costume and her ballet/jazz costume.
LilysMama719
by Emmy on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Can you pull her if you signed a contract?
Ali5683
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:31 PM
3 moms liked this

You clearly know nothing about the dance community. That is the norm. The monthly cost only covers the instructor. That's common sense. If you think that's expensive now, just wait until she is older and makes a decision on what activity/sport she would like to do. You'll be paying a hell of a lot more than a couple hundred dollars. Start saving now!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:31 PM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Yeah that sounds like a ripoff. Are there any other studios in your area?
Lilith23
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:32 PM
I took jazz, ballet, and zouk growing up and that shit was expensive as hell!
The only reason my mom did not pull me out was because my 5 year old self convinced my grand parents to pay lol
it's really expensive and the older she will get if she stick to it will only get more and more money spending.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)