Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

UPDATE- I have been sitting in the ER for 4 hours....

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 4:41 PM
  • 184 Replies
This is insane.....

I woke up feeling sick yesterday morning, and my blood sugar was running high. (Type one diabetic.). But I wasn't too bad.

I started feeling horrible all night and was up most of the night alternating between sitting on the floor in front of the toliet, and sitting in the hot shower attempting to make my stomach stop hurting so horribly.

My blood sugar hit 310 at 11 am, I called my doctor and he said to go to the ER since its a two hour drive to his office and he closes at noon on Mondays.

So I went to the ER.

AND IM STILL HERE!

So far they've called me to triage where i told them what was going on, thet then weighed me, took my blood pressure, put a bracelet on my wrist and did sign in registration.

They haven't done blood work or urinalysis yet....

I'm having a hard time staying awake here, I feel so exhausted and weak... My blood sugar was 318 when I got here... It's 368 right now.... I told them that it was still going up and they told me to have a seat and I'd be called shortly. (I've also done all my insulin injections even though no food is staying down.).

I'm worried becuase the last time this happened I ended up in ICU with DKA.(when I was hospitalised for DKA my a1c was 6.3, and my level was 187 when I got to the hospital. I was pregnant at the time and my doctor caught it in my blood work that same day. When the results came in he called and sent me to ICU, I was there for three days..)

.. But I've been sitting here for 4 hours in the minor care waiting room that they sent me to...

Ive been running back and forth to the bathroom puking...and I'm having trouble getting there without falling down. This guy that's waiting to have his wife seen helped me last time.

I'm starving but I'm afraid to eat becuase there's not much in the vending machines that wont affect my blood sugar, and the last time I was hospitalised for something like this I was on an insulin drip and unable to eat for 12 hours so since I don't know what they're going to do, I don't know of its safe to eat.

I don't get it. The sign clearly states that "emergency room patients are not seen on a first come first serve basis, but are soon by order of severity.".

And yet, the lady with a headache had already been seen,and sent home. The two kids who were running around screaming, climbing things and throwing food were seen and sent home.

But here I sit. Still waiting.

I can't drive with how bad I'm feeling now, dh is still 2 hours away from parking his truck (he's a truck driver.) and I can't have fil come becuase he's at home with my girls and I used his truck to get here.

Ugh.

My head is pounding. I feel like total shit and I swear these other people couldn't possibly be talking any louder than the are

:( I hope they hurry, I need this blood work done....

I've been admitted here before and the hospital was great... But this is my first time in their ER...

Update- they brought me back about at 5:30 after I stood up to get a drink, fell down and couldn't get back up. So they had to bring me back in a wheel chair.

They drew blood close to 6 and I'm waiting on the results..

The nurse wasnt too happy that I couldn't tell her the date of my last period... I had dd2 11 weeks ago, and started on the depo shot 7 weeks ago, the shot has caused random vagibal bleeding and some mild cramping (which I was told is normal) so I don't know If I've gotten my period or not.

They've started me on fluids and an insulin drip and are going to put me in ICU shortly since my blood sugar will need to be checked every hour while on the insulin drip. (Just that I'd add that for those who don't know that when your sugar needs checked that frequently you're sent to ICU.).

Update2- diagnosis is that my blood work showed early onset DKA, and I also have the stomach flue. Doctor said just being sick could be enough to cause the onset of DKA.

So I'm stuck in ICU.
I'm on the insulin drip, ketones were present in my urine, so they've checked my urine multiple times and its now down to a trace amount.

My blood sugar was 186 this morning. And 172 last time they checked.

I still haven't been able to keep anything down. They gave me some medicine for the nausea, which helps, but as soon as I eat my stomach starts to get the weird feeling and I end up puking. They have me doing a bland diet, and we've tried broth twice and toast twice. None of it stayed down.

My stomach keeps growling horribly but apparently it's not really ready for food...

My fingers hurt from being pricked every hour... The hourly blood sugar check has to continue until I'm off the insulin drip. My sugar has spiked several times today, the highest was 208. They're going to try taking me off the drip once my urine is clear of ketones, but I'll still have to be in ICU and monitored closely incase it spikes up again.

I still feel like crap, but I feel a lot better than I did yesterday so that's a plus...

But one things that sucks is since I'm in ICU, I have to take sponge baths =\ I really want a shower...

And I miss my babies :( , the nurses all said that it was ok for the girls to come up and dh was gonna bring them but I didn't think it was a good idea since I have the flu... I did get to Skype with them dd1 went to bed though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 24, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Is it a large hospital?

HisLove18
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 4:46 PM
4 moms liked this
I would pitch a damn fit
trish2tew
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 4:46 PM
2 moms liked this
I would go up to the front desk and puke on someone. Or start being a royal annoying pain. That is entirely too long to wait.
bakerytreatz16
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 4:46 PM
No... One of the smallest in our area. And it's doesnt seem extremely busy in here.. 2 ambulances have come on since I've been here, and several people with minor complaints. Women with head aches, 2 kids with a cough, a man with a cold.... The only other person I've seen that seems to need a doctor is the elderly man with extremely high blood pressure who hasn't been seen yet either....

Quoting Anonymous:

Is it a large hospital?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heydooney
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 4:47 PM
6 moms liked this
I would go pass out in the hallway.
aschwarz06
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 4:48 PM
That's bull. They should have made you a priority. When my son needs to go due to vomiting and his diabetes we are rushed to front of line as if we came in the squad. Its considered a medical emergency
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 24, 2014 at 4:48 PM
I'd Jane pitched one hell of a fit by now. Or made an over exaggerated scene and actually lose my balance right in front of them
fairymom82
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 4:49 PM
5 moms liked this
Puke on the nurses station that usually works or the check in desk.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 24, 2014 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm so sorry. Start making a pest of yourself.
ladybugchick317
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Raise hell! If anything happens to you then you can sue and I woudl threaten it too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN