Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

is it really to much to ask for?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 67 Replies
My husband and I aren't religious people, he's atheist and I'm whatever, I dont care. My mom and step dad however are christian, go to bible studies, church etc, which I don't care about. We have a 2 year old dd that sometimes spends the night, but the last time she came home she started imitating praying which bugged me. We both think it's a choice she should make for herself when she's old enough to understand and not be taught one thing or the other. I asked my mom not to pray with her and she got upset. She said she wasn't going to be "phoney" around her and she's going to keep doing her thing. I told her then she probably doesn't need to be with them on Sundays then, when they go to church.

When she's old enough to ask questions about any type of religion I'll be more than happy to show her resources. I don't think someone else's preference should be taught to her.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2014 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 4:51 PM
I don't know why it's a problem if you want to let your daughter do whatever. Talk to her and tell her how you feel when she asks. She will ask.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 24, 2014 at 4:54 PM

I actually brought my dd up with some religion , we went through the motions, etc.  but as a teen, she decided it was not for her.  I am fine with it as my dh is an athiest.  I am not, but I do not follow any organized religion and I never wil

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 24, 2014 at 4:54 PM
3 moms liked this
If you want to let your daughter do whatever it is she wants in regards to religion, why are you freaking out about her praying? That doesn't exactly sound like letting her make her own choice, IMO.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 24, 2014 at 4:57 PM

oh ffs shes a kid that is imitating her grandparents, not going off to live in a cult. She's playing just like when she plays with her baby dolls, you're the one making a big deal out of it. Let it go, it will pass , until she sees them again, then she will do it for a week or so and stop again. ffs you all look for drama where there isnt any.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 24, 2014 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree that things of that nature shouldn't be forced on children at a young age. I wouldn't let mom or step dad have the chance to be alone with her again.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 24, 2014 at 5:03 PM
Well shes two...and im not freaking out. I just think that she should learn this stuff when she wants to if she wants to, not when she doesn't even understand what she's doing

Quoting Anonymous: If you want to let your daughter do whatever it is she wants in regards to religion, why are you freaking out about her praying? That doesn't exactly sound like letting her make her own choice, IMO.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 24, 2014 at 5:03 PM
Yea....cuz I have nothing better to do

Quoting Anonymous:

oh ffs shes a kid that is imitating her grandparents, not going off to live in a cult. She's playing just like when she plays with her baby dolls, you're the one making a big deal out of it. Let it go, it will pass , until she sees them again, then she will do it for a week or so and stop again. ffs you all look for drama where there isnt any.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 24, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Are they making her pray with them?  I can understand why you're upset, but I can see their pov too.  I wouldn't stop praying in my home to please someone else.  However, no one would be forced to pray either.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 24, 2014 at 5:04 PM
Exactly. When she's able to understand then I'll be more than happy to give her any info she wants

Quoting Anonymous: I agree that things of that nature shouldn't be forced on children at a young age. I wouldn't let mom or step dad have the chance to be alone with her again.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 24, 2014 at 5:06 PM
Yea they will ask her to pray with them at dinner and before bed etc if she's there over night. I wouldn't ask them to stop what they're doing either, I did ask them not to ask her to do it with them

Quoting Anonymous:

Are they making her pray with them?  I can understand why you're upset, but I can see their pov too.  I wouldn't stop praying in my home to please someone else.  However, no one would be forced to pray either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)