Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would let your 18 yr old child be homeless if they refused to...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Go to college or even get a part time job?!?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:36 AM
Replies (311-320):
Nysa
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:25 AM

My 13 year old already wants a job, and is annoyed by child labor laws, lol. She already has decided that the $10 a week allowence for getting chores done, plus $10 for an evening of babysitting her little sister is just not enough for her, lol. (Really, it ends up being as long as she is doing well in school, and being helpful I tend to give her money for the things she wants to get or do. I have one friend gorwing up who had a strict bill from their parents, and I do not keep such good track of things/remember to always have enough cash, lol, to do that. If she were having a different attitude about things or behaving in a way that showed just lazyness things would start changing. My thinking is that because we are raising her like that this will probably never be an issue. That kind of behavior just doesn't start at 18 years old, lol. If you were to raise a kid who absolutly wanted to do nothing with their life than that is on you as a parent, not the kid.

Basherte
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:49 AM

yes

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this
So they refuse to work or go to school? Yup. My kids will have the understanding as long as they are working or going to school (and passing) they can live at home., if they are just working they will help with bills or pay a small rent while saving up to move out.

If they refuse to do both, they will be evicted.
Mommyzlovez
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:59 AM
This..hopping this never is an issue. This is a tuffy for sure.

Quoting kbutton24: Depends on the circumstances, but probably. I am willing to fully support dd as long as she's continuing her education. If she's "adult" enough to decide she doesn't need to go to college, she can pay rent or move out.
SexyBurlapSack
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:20 AM

A 25-30 year old living at home IS ridiculous, I agree with you there, but some people aren't ready to live on their own at 18.  

Quoting purplerobin:

Parents who decide that their adult son or daughter needs to act like a **GASP** ADULT aren't cold heartless bitches that shouldn't have kids. They are people who believe in teaching their kids responsibility for their behavior. It's highly unlikely that he/she would be sleeping in the cold anyway, he/she would probably end up couch surfing for awhile until he/she burned their bridges. As far as hunger goes, well, it's not my responsibility to feed ANY able-bodied adult who isn't willing to work. Food isn't free last I checked. As a matter of fact it's pretty damn expensive. If you like the idea of a 30+ year old titty baby living in your home, you go for it. The rest of us with common sense will pass.

Quoting SexyBurlapSack:

No, because I'm not a heartless bitch. Anyone who would let their child sleep in the cold and go hungry shouldn't have children in the first place.

Terrisues
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Yes

mrs.hartman12
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:28 AM
Well obviously I did figure it out pretty quickly. My point was, you need to at least give your child the opportunity to have the basics, like a drivers license, if you expect them to immediately move out the day they turn 18 and just barely graduated from high school. Especially if you live in the middle of nowhere with no businesses and no buses. Idk what your laws are but here you cant get a learners permit or license without s parent if your under 18. Your job as a parent is to help your child become an adult.

Quoting purplerobin:

Thing is, figuring out how to live on your own isn't rocket science. I wasn't taught skills for independent living either, so I just taught myself. No biggie.

Quoting mrs.hartman12:

Pretty much this.

When I was 18 my Mom kicked me out because someone told her to. On paper I was an unemployed, not in college. The reality was my parents did not give me the tools I needed to be independant. I had not drivers license or learners permit. We lived in a temporary housing situation in a town with no businesses and an hour away from anywhere I could even try to get a job, and I had been 18 for less than a month. Luckily my youth pastors took me in, helped me get not 1 but 2 jobs, and helped me enroll in school. I was out in 3 months with an apartment and a razor scooter to get around town. 

Sometimes you have to look at the whole picture, not just a snip.

Quoting KrissyKC: I'm not so quick to boot them out...but I also don't condone laziness. This is not a cut and dry answer.

However, it would be working that direction if it also included disrespect, breaking house rules, and refusal to help around the house.

You do them no favors letting them continue down a bad path without consequences.

momof35219
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:29 AM
I don't think so. That's not something I would ever want them to experience.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 74 on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:00 AM

This:

Quoting mlg1989: Yes. Why enable that behavior?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 75 on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Yes, if the chose do do nothing then so do I.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)