Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My cousin can't go to prom because her parents won't help out or watch her son :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 1342 Replies
1 mom liked this
My cousin is 18 and had her baby boy 6 months ago. Her prom is at the beginning of May. She called me yesterday so overwhelmed with school, work, being a mom and life. She really started sobbing when she said she couldn't go to prom.

I asked why not and she said her parents refuse to watch her son when she's not at school and work because they give her free daycare for necessary things, not for fun. And they require her to pay them for all baby expenses and rent, which adds up to almost her whole pay check, so she can't afford a dress or tickets.

I feel so bad for her. I told my mom about it and she called my aunt, but she didn't budge and told her to mind her own business. I wish I had the money to help her to could babysit but we live far away.

What do you think? Prom is a right of passage. Them watching the baby for her isn't the end of the world.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovemyhoney19
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:27 PM
2 moms liked this
Too bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:27 PM
105 moms liked this

Too bad for her. She has a child now, it's time to grow up. That's a rite of passage for people without children. 

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:27 PM
21 moms liked this

Guess she should have thought about a stupid dance before getting knocked up. 

Schauseil
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:28 PM
31 moms liked this
I would do the same thing. Their daughter chose to have sex like and adult, have a baby like an adult, and now she needs to deal with her own problems like an adult.
Krysta784
by Dani on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:28 PM
21 moms liked this
Maybe she should have thought of that before she spread her legs.

Parents often have to sacrifice things they want to do for the sake of their children. It's life. She better get used to it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:28 PM
23 moms liked this
Prom is for teenagers, not for parents. There is no right of passage.
AZHOTMOM
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:28 PM
16 moms liked this

I agree and disagree to a point. Having a baby young forfeits the right of passage that most teens experience. That being said, I think she should be able to go to prom. But I'm not her parents and they are well within their right to say no.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

but it isn't their job.  maybe she has another friend that can watch, or can you and your mom go down?

collectivecow
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

That's unfortunate. 
If she's working, why can't she hire a babysitter?

olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:29 PM
7 moms liked this
I wouldn't watch the kid either. Welcome to adulthood. If she wants to go, she can figure out child care on her own.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN