Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I donated all my kids toys!!

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:48 PM
  • 34 Replies
Yes I did. I gave all my 9 and 10 year olds toys away to a charity group. For weeks we have been telling them to clean their room, which they refused. So finally I went in there & started to organize it. This is what I found:

Over half of the things were broken or missing pieces.
Candy wrappers everywhere.
Candy everywhere.
Toys and clothes shoved under beds, in closets, behind shelves, and behind plus in the tv.

So I am fed up with. I bagged it uo and off it went. We are refusing to buy them anything new except for birthdays and Christmas. If they want something then they have to buy it. Maybe then they will start to respect it.

Ok bash away.

Edited: We have done something like this twice before. We boxed it all up and let them earn it back. It never worked. In fact my youngest even said " What does it matter we will get it all back and mom cleans the room for us."

P.S No I did not give the broken stuff or missing pieces stuff to charity. I threw them away. Thank you.
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elizabeth1131
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Good for you! ....no bashing on my end :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Sounds like something you should have done long ago.
mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:51 PM
Gotta do what you gotta do.

How much do you give them in allowance?
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:51 PM
No bashing from me. I've done it too. Our kids only get toys for bday and christmas for the same reason.

Their playroom stays trashed. They know that if it gets bad enough for mama to clean it, most of the crap will be thrown away/given away.
gowings42
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:51 PM

I see no issue

KenneMaw
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:52 PM

No bashing here either.   Personally, I think we live in a world with too much excess.  Kids often just have a few favorite toys and the rest are just in the way.   I hope you didn't give the broken things to a charity :-(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:52 PM
I wouldn't donate them. That's a lot of money wasted. I would put it in the garage snd they would be doing chores to earn that shit back.
AZHOTMOM
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:53 PM

No bashing. I am doing that this weekend. Not due to not cleaning, but she has outgrown all of her toys and has NO SPACE.

olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep, my rule is if I have to pick it up, it goes away. First I take it and you can earn it back. If I keep picking it up it gets donated. I don't have to do it often anymore. My 3 year old gets it. He also does chores and uses his own money to buy things. Not everything, but I'm trying to teach him you work for things in life.
crysiann
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:53 PM
No bashing here, we are pondering doing this too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN