Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is Barbie banned at your house?

Posted by   + Show Post

I posted this picture of my newbie on facebook and I got a message pleading that I do my research on barbie.. barbie gives women and men unrealistic expectations of women.... -.-

are you FREKING kidding me?

Barbie never hurt anyone. SHE IS A DOLL. I played with barbie no body issues here. My grandma had a HUGE barbie collection so I got barbie everything as a kid. Did not scar me one bit.  I unfriended them. It was an old acquaintances Mother who sent me the message. I couldn't help but laugh. My daughter is almost 7 weeks old and has 20+ new in box barbies from my grandmothers collection that I saved plus my entire childhood collection ( yep those were saved too).  I am so pumped to be able to look at new barbie stuff too  when the time comes.

8 year old me living it up at grandma's house in her barbie room.

by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 9:56 PM
Replies (471-477):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 29, 2014 at 5:21 PM
Oh everybody says that about the unrealistic body type. Hey... Barbie has had dozens of cool careers, she's polite, she's the star of her movies and shows how to stand up for herself while maintaining dignity. You know who else would be not normal at life size? Most dolls...

Giant heads, huge eyes,short stalky bodies..

Hopefully you teach your girls that there is more to life then obsessing about a doll. My DD loves math, science, books, biking, scootering, snowboarding..,,

MrsBx
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Barbie still lives at our house. From the red-headed bouffant hairdo, to Skipper, Scooter, Ken, Midge, Alan and the twins. Wish we had the grandparents with the Bob Mackie clothing line. I have large tupperware containers of Barbie clothes and accessories that I can't bear to give away-hoping that granddaughters come my way before I leave this life. We have tents, campers, trucks, corvettes, furniture, cardboard playhouses, and many great hand-made furniture pieces from Christmas bazaars and gawd knows what else. I loved Barbie while growing up with 3 sisters. We made our own clothes and my grandmother crochet lovely ball gowns for Barbie. I loved Skipper's long hair and I still don't know why they stopped make Skipper, the pre-teen doll. She was fabulous! My daughter played with those dolls for years and liked that they were something I played with myself. They are keepsakes. Just because some dude thinks that all women should have the proportions of Barbie, as an ideal doll, doesn't concern me. Men just glom onto what advertisers want them to think. How else would mfgrs of diet pills and plastic surgeons peddle their products? Let's not buy into steortypes or blame Barbie for our issues. Sheesh. Better to buy Troll dolls?

bakerytreatz16
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:40 PM
My daughter isn't big on barbies yet, she only has one. But no, they aren't banned here
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PirateLass
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:42 PM
We have Barbie,bratz, monster high all those Barbie type dolls.

It is my job as a mother to teach my daughter healthy body image not a dolls
MammaBearMcGee
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:47 PM
That makes total sense to me. I agree witb you. So many Parents dobt unde4stand the impact if shows like spongebob have on their kids! We do Disney Junior, but as soon as my son tries to hit me with a play sword, its spanking time.

Quoting vbway:

I'll just copy and paste my reply. I keep getting asked the same question : )

find that the shows like Hannah Montana, icarlie (Nick) and a few others that I can't remember the name of,  promote a sassy-ness that I just don't like. Kids running around doing what they want with no regard for the rules. I watched several episodes and there was just to much that didn't sit well with me. The kids would lie to get around the parents. There would be no consequences for bad behavior. The kids spoke rudely to the adults. 

I felt that my kids were picking up bad habits. They were a bit more sassy after watching the shows and I just didn't like that. 

There isn't a complete ban on all Disney, but there is no watching Disney with out permission. It really depends on the show. I am ok with most Disney cartoons, just not the drama shows.

(My statement applies to like shows on similar channels like Nickelodeon). 

Quoting MammaBearMcGee: I'm just curious, why is the Disney Channel banned from your house?

Quoting vbway:

No, but the Disney channel is. 

Gwendlite
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Barbie isn't banned here. 

Cozie_Sisika458
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:50 PM
Let me first say holy crap Barbie heaven for any little girl! And no Barbie isn't banned in my house. There will always be unrealistic expectations from a lot of things in this world a child's toy isn't one of them. Cute baby and shirt to.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)