Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

P90x or insanity?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Im very out of shape (not fat but I want to tone up and lose the csection flap) Im wondering if anyones tried these workout plans? Which would be better for me? My husband would like to try it aswell (out of shape).

Any insight welcomed! Thanks! :)

What kind of equipment does p90x require?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:58 AM
Replies (21-26):
kysmama08
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Thank you, it took a lot of hard work, but I did it for me! That's awesome! I have done done that one, but I love her too! She really kicks your butt haha

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

I saw your pic in another thread and you look great. I am not as thin as you, but am toned also and you can see my abs. I swear by Jillian Michaels. I will be doing 'no more trouble zones' here in about 15 min.

Quoting kysmama08:

It's awesome, I don't recommend Insanity for beginners though lol

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Yes. Icombine insanity with Jillian Michaels too and always see results.

Quoting kysmama08:

I did Insanity and 30 Day Shred when I was trying to lose after the 2nd baby, plus cut out processed foods and cut down on carbs and drank a lot of water. I also do Dance Fitness w/ Jessica. I have a 6 pack and am toned.

ABCMomma0211
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:11 PM
With p90x you need equipment.

My husband is doing insantity
LectioDivina
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:13 PM
Quoting Anonymous: I need to see some results to be more motivated to lose weight/workout. I think this would be a good jumpstart.

Quoting LectioDivina: Both stupid.

Pick something you can keep up with for the rest of your life.

It's not safe , it's not a good jump start if it's damaging muscles.

-------http://www.armytimes.com/article/20100930/OFFDUTY03/9300301/The-hidden-danger-extreme-workouts-------------

By now, you've probably heard a lot about CrossFit, P90X, Insanity and other high-rep, high-intensity training regimens — or you're one of the many devotees who e-mailed us testimonials about their favorite workouts when we announced this story.

You can find them everywhere. Many on-base gyms have CrossFit trainers on staff, and most military towns now have a gym dedicated to the CrossFit exercise methodology. Units are adopting CrossFit as their PT program — because it gets results.

"During the time that I have been using CrossFit on a regular basis, I have been and am currently in the best shape of my life" at age 33, wrote Army Capt. Robert Pettigrew, and that sentiment was echoed in many similar e-mails.

But as the popularity of CrossFit and other high-intensity fitness programs has grown, so have concerns about their safety.

Some troops are reporting injuries serious enough to land them in the hospital, and the military wants to take a formal look at all of the so-called "high-intensity training" programs and their impact on force fitness and readiness.

Dozens of military doctors and fitness experts attended a conference in September at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences outside Washington, D.C., to talk about programs such as CrossFit, P90X, Insanity and other off-the-shelf commercial exercise programs.

"The reason we're here is because of all the anecdotal reports of injuries," said Col. (Dr.) Francis O'Connor, associate professor of military and emergency medicine at the university.

Problems can range from torn ligaments to a condition known as exertional rhabdomyolysis, which may cause kidney failure.

It can put you in the hospital and even kill you if not properly treated, O'Connor said.

‘Rhabdo'
Experts are quick to point out that most fitness routines pose far less risk for acute injury than team sports such as basketball or football.

But there are risks, nonetheless — in particular, rhabdomyolsis, a serious condition in which muscles are overworked to the point of breakdown and release dangerous toxins into the bloodstream that can overwhelm your kidneys. A key factor is lack of rest or recovery time during workouts, which intensifies stress on muscles.

It can be brutally painful. Just ask Hospital Corpsman 3rd Class Brett Boland.

A 25-year-old stationed at Camp Pendleton, Calif., Boland was hoping to enter the elite ranks of special operations and heard about a CrossFit workout group that his buddies said might get him in better shape.

Before he started, another corpsman leading the workout casually warned him to take it easy.

"He said, ‘Just don't push yourself beyond your limits. I don't want anyone getting rhabdo,'" Boland recalled. "I didn't know what he was talking about. I'd never heard that word before."

But after one 42-minute workout emphasizing upper-body strength, Boland was almost immediately struck by pain so acute he could hardly move.

"My muscles felt like they were ripping as I tried to stretch my arms out," he recalled.

Three days later, he saw blood in his urine and went to a doctor. Diagnosed with rhabdomyolsis in his chest and arms, Boland spent three days in the hospital on painkillers and a saline intravenous drip to help wash out the lactic acid that had built up in his muscles.

He was on medical hold for eight months, and it took him more than a year to regain the strength in his arms and return to normal exercise. During recovery, he suffered stress fractures in his ankles because running was one of the only ways he could stay in shape.

"It was like I was literally just breaking down, so I put spec ops on the back burner for a while just trying to heal myself," he said.

CrossFit — a California-based company that licenses the program to gyms that use the CrossFit trademark — has itself acknowledged the risk of "rhadbo" for years.

In 2005, CrossFit founder and CEO Greg Glassman wrote in the CrossFit Journal:

"Countless bad-asses from sporting and special operations communities, long regarded as bulletproof, have been burned at the stake of ego and intensity. As it turns out, the burning is rhabdo.

"We now find ourselves obligated not just to explain CrossFit's potency but to warn of its potential lethality. ... With CrossFit we are dealing with what is known as exertional rhabdomyolysis. It can disable, maim, and even kill."

And those most at risk for injury are not necessarily those who are most out of shape.

"People who are most susceptible are people who are moderately fit and have built up some muscle mass," said Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Chris Bonner, a CrossFit instructor. "Someone who is unfit or untrained wouldn't be susceptible because they don't have the ability to do that type of intensity."
itsm3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I've done both. i did insanity first then p90x. both are amazing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:49 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:10 PM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)