Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is Exercise Really Necessary to Lose Weight?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 52 Replies

I don't exercise. I figured because I don't eat a lot the weight should be lost without it. Well, I'm 230lbs. I really don't eat a lot. For instance, yesterday I had like 5 cups of coffee, a package of pop tarts, and some cheez its. Today All I've had so far is 2 cups of coffee. I know I'm not eating the healthiest foods (no need to tell me that) but I grab what I can while on the run. So, even though I know I'm taking in MUCH less than the recommended amount of calories, I'm still fat. I'm not losing any weight at all. I don't really have any time to work out except after the kids are in bed and the house is cleaned but by then  I'm exhausted. I work 2 jobs and I have no days off. 

I also can't afford to spend a bunch of money on diet programs or memberships at the gym. I can't even afford a whole lot of fresh fruits and veggies. I buy what I can but I give it all to the kids. They need it more than I do. So what do I do? I'm tired of being so fat...

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:05 PM

i know a lot of people who have lost weight without exercising.

i heard a jillian michaels quote once, "diet is what makes you look good in clothes, exercise is what makes you look good naked"

you're not eating enough & the quality of your food is really low.  (and i'm not saying that in a judgy way - i'm a fat girl who hardly eats).  i cleaned up my diet completely and have lost 15ish lbs.  nothing in my routine changed, only the type of food i eat.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:06 PM
Because when you do eat it's junk.
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Studies show that it really isn't lol. It's mostly your diet but it's good to exercise for cardiovascular health.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:08 PM

I can lose weight by diet alone, but I prefer to be toned/athletic too so I do exercise.

caito
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

"I don't eat a lot"

Well this is one reason you're not losing weight. You need to eat to lose weight. Sounds silly, right? LOLNOPE. You weigh 14 pounds less than I do. I eat 1900-2100 calories a day. I log everything that passes my lips on myfitnesspal. I'm still losing weight.

No, it's not necessary to exercise to lose weight, but I guarantee you'll feel better and will lose weight faster if you work out.

You need to overhaul your diet if you want to lose weight. I'd be starving and would get sick if I ate what you do. Not because of what it is, but because of how little you're eating.

pinkfairy0206
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:09 PM
Well exercising is going to kick your metabolism into gear and burn calories. Also eating better, breakfast, lunch and dinner is going to keep you full and have the energy to exercise.
frankiesma530
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:09 PM

I say yes if you want to maintain the weight and a healthy lifestyle.

ColieO
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:10 PM
Weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Eating shit food won't help. It may not seem like a lot, but that kind of food is packed with calories, sodium and bad fats.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:11 PM

What did you do to clean up your diet? Do you have any tips for me? I'm desperate to drop weight but I don't have the ability to do a lot of the things that I hear other people describe like go on a fresh fruit/veggies diet, go green, special meals and foods. We're living paycheck to paycheck so I just can't afford all that. 

Quoting almondpigeon:

i know a lot of people who have lost weight without exercising.

i heard a jillian michaels quote once, "diet is what makes you look good in clothes, exercise is what makes you look good naked"

you're not eating enough & the quality of your food is really low.  (and i'm not saying that in a judgy way - i'm a fat girl who hardly eats).  i cleaned up my diet completely and have lost 15ish lbs.  nothing in my routine changed, only the type of food i eat.

hot_momma633
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:12 PM
Its not expensive to healthy foods. Its cheaper then buying junk. Your problem is the junk food. Eat better and drink more water. You will notice a big difference in a few weeks.

I carry an apple or a banana and a bottle of water in my bag at all times.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)