Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Step parent adoption?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

Dh wants to adopt our 5yo DD. Her bio dad has been out of the picture since she was about 13-14 months old. He doesnt pay support (there is no order for it) and has never tried to be in her life other then occasionally sending me a half assed facebook message "Can I see my kid". DH wants to legally adopt her, in case something happens to me (like i die or something), that way my ex cant take her away from him.

Is this a hard thing to do?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ilovemylineman
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:34 PM
It's not hard.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Your ex has to okay it. So basically he determines whether or not this is a difficult process for you.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:35 PM

it depends on the state and his willingness to make it easy for you

MilkLover0203
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:35 PM
If he hasn't seen her in that long, he shouldn't have any rights anyway. I know in my state, over a year without contact, you lose rights.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:36 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:36 PM

He wont. He wont even give me his address or phone number.

Quoting Anonymous:

Your ex has to okay it. So basically he determines whether or not this is a difficult process for you.

littlemoments99
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Hopefully not. I know my mom had to have permission and he wouldn't give it. So, we changed our names when we all turned 14

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:37 PM

What state is that?

Quoting MilkLover0203: If he hasn't seen her in that long, he shouldn't have any rights anyway. I know in my state, over a year without contact, you lose rights.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:37 PM

He wont Okay it. He also wont give me his address. He doesnt have money for a lawyer or anything.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

it depends on the state and his willingness to make it easy for you

ashleynickia
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:42 PM
I am going thru the same thing and it depends on the state you're in. I'm in cali and here my social worker said dh has to send my ex a letter stating that for thr past 3 years dh has loved dd as his own, provided for her, and so on. Attached was a letter for ex to sign over his rights. Unfortunately he refused to sign, so the next step is to place an ad in the paper for 4 weeks straight saying whats going on (in the paper where ex lives) and he has to respond. If he does not then we can proceed with abandonment charges. Our social worker, in thr meantime, has someone interview us as a family and seperately and if need be, other family members and observes us as a family in.the home. The social worker then sends their findings to the judge and if they are good the judge grants that ex loses his parental rights and dh is granted rights as her father.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN