Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Trailer Trash

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies
Now that I have your attention... I have been living with my parents for the past year now,my husband lives with us as do my three children 50 percent of the time and his daughter 25 percent of the time. My parents have a fairly large house. It is two stories, the bottom story is a large living room, large kitchen, large dining room, another small room off of the kitchen, the master bedroom, and 2 bathrooms. The upstairs is where my husband and kids and I sleep. My husband and I have the small bedroom, my boys share a bedroom, and my daughter and stepdaughter share a bedroom. We also have a good sized middle room that has chair and couch and TV in it.

we moved in with my parents because I decided that I wanted to go to college full time and I knew that I wouldn't be able to bring enough money while going to school, to afford everything. My husband does not make nearly enough to support our household on his own.

living here this past year has been a blessing in so many ways, but I can't help but feel like I want my own home again. I was raised by parents that made enough money that we were able to always have a nice home. I never lived in a trailer. Right now my husband and I cannot afford to buy a real home and there are no apartments around here that are more then 2 bedroom. Out of curiosity I was looking around and I found a trailer that is 3 bedrooms one and a half bath for $4500. it is in a trailer park across from the High School in our town. There are 2 trailer parks in our town, one is really nasty but this one has always looked fine. My husband and I could buy this trailer with cash and only pay $265/month to rent the lot that it is on in the trailer park. We would have to tighten our belts a little, but I think we would be able to afford to live there right now while I'm going to school. I'm nervous though because I've never lived in a trailer before or a trailer park. I know that there is a stigma attached to it and I know that the homes depreciate in value very quickly.

what is your opinion? Would you buy a trailer home in a trailer park so that you can have your own home and not live with your parents anymore? Or would you steer clear of the trailer home, and for what reasons? Thank you!
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I would never buy a trailer in a trailer park.

TheWiseOwl
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:50 PM

I would never buy a trailer.  EVER. 

That said, I would never burden my parents after I reached adulthood by making them house me and my family.  They did their job, get out!

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:50 PM
I've lived in a doublewide before. Trailers are common here & there's no real stigma. I wouldn't hesitate to live in one.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:51 PM
Why not?

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:52 PM
They are adults, I can't make them do anything, and haven't.

Quoting TheWiseOwl:

I would never buy a trailer.  EVER. 

That said, I would never burden my parents after I reached adulthood by making them house me and my family.  They did their job, get out!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Stay where you are and save that $265 for a down payment on a house.  Deposit it every month in a savings account.  Also look into further educating your husband so he CAN support a family. 

3gr8tKids
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:53 PM

It would depend on several factors.

How much longer do you have before youre done with school?

How do your children feel about living in a trailer park?

How long do you think you would be living there?

Would you have time to take care of a kids, house, work and go to school?

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:53 PM
3 moms liked this

Because they depreciate in value, not safe in storms, poor insulation, and I don't want to live so close to neighbors. And of course, the unclassy people that live in some of those parks.

Quoting Anonymous: Why not?
Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:53 PM
That's good to hear. Do you know if there are any problems that are unique to trailers?

Quoting almondpigeon: I've lived in a doublewide before. Trailers are common here & there's no real stigma. I wouldn't hesitate to live in one.
Irish_Fox_Fyre
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:53 PM

I would never buy, but I currently do rent a very nice one in a very nice trailer park.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN