Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

*Pics* I'm not leaving my dog outside because your kids are scared

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:10 PM
  • 159 Replies
1 mom liked this
My cousins kids are terrified of my dog. I have a 40 lb. (not even) American Eskimo. He 9 years old and is as sweet as can be. So anyways, my cousins wife is terrified of dogs of all sizes and breeds, she was but as a kid and I can understand her cautiousness. Well every time they come over she asks for me to put my dog outside, because her kid (5 and 6) are scared of him? He doesn't jump, or growl..he barks when anyone enters just like any other dog. I agree with teaching your kids that you have to be careful around animals, but I don't think it's right not to let them at least give animals a chance. They aren't allergic , they are just scared because of their mom. Yesterday when they were over, she asked as usually if I would put the dog out for the time they were over (dinner and hanging out) and I kindly said "he just came in, I'm gonna let him chill with us." She said "we'll the kids are scared by him" and I told her "he doesn't bother them, or anyone for that matter..this is his house too and hes gonna hang out inside."

We had dinner and relaxed. The kids were fine..and what do you know?! My dog didn't bite anyone lol. Do you think it was wrong of me not to do as she asked?? I personally love dogs a m dog is like a child to me. He's a kind little fluff ball and after raising him for 9 years I trust him. My 7 month old loves him and my dog is very protective over him..I don't plan I keeping him away from animals and want to teach him animals can be like our best friends.

Are your children dog lovers? Are you weary about having your kids around animals??
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Memxo
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:10 PM
4 moms liked this

Before I had the baby
Memxo
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Lol big baby
Memxo
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

He used to lay his head on my belly while I was pregnant <3
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:12 PM

we have a dog that is all of 25 lbs soaking wet, but DS has a friend who is TERRIFIED of dogs due to a bite he got as a preschooler (he is 8)

We are slowly getting him warmed up to the dog, but we also want him to have fun and relax while he is at our house, so we also don't push it when you can tell the dog is making him anxious

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:13 PM
2 moms liked this

you weren't wrong...sounds like she's projecting HER fears about dogs onto her kids

jslpruitt
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you, your house your dog your rules. He is such a cutie btw.

Memxo
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:14 PM
2 moms liked this

Wherever my son is, the dog is too. He's a big sweetie!
ZoeCY
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I think you were just fine, I wouldn't have put him out either.  I do on ocassion put 2 of my 3 out but that is because they are crazy hyper puppies and they don't stay out the entire time someone is here just long enough to calm down a bit.  

My daughter loves all animals, I don't think I have ever seen her be afraid of any animal.  She also knows to ask before petting someone's dog. Nope, I'm not weary about it at all. 

ETA: My two are a 98 pound lab and a 70 pound catahoula/mastiff mix.  The 13 year old 40 pounder gets to stay inside whenever she wants.  (The other two love being outside though too)

sarah824
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:15 PM
6 moms liked this

I got hung up on the part that says.... "he barks when anyone enters just like any other dog." I have had dogs my whole life and none of them have ever barked when people came in my home. 

Anyhow, if you invite someone to your home that you know has a fear of dogs then I think the hospitable thing to do is put the dog outside or in another room. If you don't want to accommodate them then quit inviting them to your home. To me it is rude to not make reasonable sacrifices for guests that are invited to your home, but that is just me. 

babyspots17
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:16 PM

I wouldn't put my dogs out because the kids have been trained to be scared of dogs for no sound reason.  She is punishing her children by allowing her fears to be transferred to them that is not fair to her kids she needs to learn to control her own irrational fear.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN