Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

This is why people stay on welfare

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 312 Replies
11 moms liked this
So I finally landed a job! I was so excited to be able to get off, or at least get less assistance. Was hoping to not need any assistance outside of child care assistance while I am working and going to school.
I called my worker about fs to report my employment. I am working 30 hours a week @ 9.50 per hour. I also inquire about child care assistance and I am told I don't qualify. What? How in the world do I not qualify? I can not afford to work and pay for child care. Especially since this means my fs will drastically go down if not entirely go away.
The only assistance I use, or have ever used is FS and Medicaid for the kids. I know they will still get Medicaid. But if our fs go down or away and I have to pay out the ass for child care, how am I supposed to make it work? I am really confused and upset right now. I am doing my best to better myself and get my life going in the right direction so I can be off welfare and support myself and my kids (I have 3).
I am a divorced mom who was a sahm for 7 years per my husbands request. He does not pay alimony and only pays child support occasionally when he has a job (he gets fired and quits a lot).
I am just really upset right now because I feel trapped. This is why people end up staying on welfare, because we make it so hard for them to get off. I do not want to stay on fs forever, I want to make it on my own. But I don't see how I can make that happen when I have to start from the bottom concerning jobs & I don't qualify for child care assistance. I would be paying almost my whole paycheck for it!
I know all the PA bashers will probably have a field day with this but I don't care. I am just venting my frustrations. I want to better myself for all of our benefits. I want a better life for my kids. It is just seeming impossible right now.

I am going to work now. Will be back later tonight. Thanx for all the support ladies, I didn't expect it!
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't disagree with you

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:15 PM

that's the gov forya, keeping the man (or woman) down, and relying back on them...sickening, isn't it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:16 PM
3 moms liked this

We wonder WHY theres a cycle of poverty people cannot break out of no matter how hard they try.  

Do you have any friends or family that could pitch in with childcare?  If not, that's another obstacle women face when trying to get off pa...Our gov throws people peanuts, and expects gratitude, and working 3 jobs in return...

MissusCleaver
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I completely agree
SitaStJames
by *Sita* on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:18 PM

I completely agree, too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Yup I know that catch 22 all to well.

Lithalen
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

The system is fucked in it's current form. Good luck,hopefully it will all work out for you.

CoolRelax
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:19 PM

That's tough.  I know someone in a similar situation - she is getting licensed for her in-home daycare and she receives housing assistance.  While the agency who is doing her licensing is dragging their heels, the agency that gives her assistance is raising her contribution by 1k a month.  Nevermind the fact that she can't legally begin watching children until the first agency is done.

It's very hard out here to make ends meet.  Good luck.

jslpruitt
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:19 PM

it is a pretty crappy, I hope things work out for you.

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you.  You're already going to school?  I suggest you keep that up.  You need a job that pays more than $9.50/hr.  Also, have you tried calling different daycares, even state funded preschools?  There may be some that charge on a scale, depending on how much you make.  Don't give up.  But yeah, they sure make it difficult to pull yourself out of a hole don't they?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)