Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Not even going anon, military related

Posted by   + Show Post
Dh literally just got out of the army. We have no income currently and are both looking, I'm sure we will find something but not sure about the month or two between. He's signed for courses for firefighting but we still need to feed and house four kids. He is going to use the GI bill and is signing up for the National Guard. Does anyone have any tips of transition if you've been here before? I'm going to be bashed to h--l I know but I will still show who I am. 😕

I know we will be ok but I am stressed beyond belief right now.
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:14 PM
Replies (41-49):
JBiiirdD
by No Day but Today on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this
No advice but thoughts and prayers for your family, Love. BUMP!
lalaballet
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:09 PM
Totally almost made me cry lol. I'm a baby when it comes to stress sometimes, I hold up well but occasionally I'm a mess.

Quoting JBiiirdD: No advice but thoughts and prayers for your family, Love. BUMP!
girlie2
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Hugs I've been there I'm so thankful for family that took us in and helped. The military offers career fairs 

mhaney03
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

we were in a similar situation.  As soon as they saw the crack in his spine they QUICKLY kicked him out and took 3 years before we saw a dime from the VA.

food stamps for sure, check into it.

.mack.
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:11 PM
I don't know. My boyfriend just got out and he stayed with his parents when he shipped back home but he was 25 and single. He got a job a few months later.
JBiiirdD
by No Day but Today on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:11 PM
I have extreme anxiety so I COMPLETELY understand. It'll be okay! Just pray and ask God to help you through, if you believe of course (this is not me pushing my beliefs on you if you don't, I swear lbs).

Quoting lalaballet: Totally almost made me cry lol. I'm a baby when it comes to stress sometimes, I hold up well but occasionally I'm a mess.

Quoting JBiiirdD: No advice but thoughts and prayers for your family, Love. BUMP!
evolove
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:13 PM
Wish I could help. My bf got out in December and is collecting unemployment and being a stay at home dad to my kids. I'm still in though but getting out at the end of the year. I'm going to start going to job fairs around July. Maybe see if anywhere is having job fairs for you as well. Worst case, McDonald's or Walmart...anything is better than nothing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:16 PM
It really isn't that bad once you adjust to civilian life. Honestly our transition from both of us being in to me getting out and him still being in was way harder than the transition fully out. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and you'll find your new normal, it just takes time.

Quoting lalaballet: The insurance is why he's joining the guard. I'm so glad to hear you're doing okay. Thank you so much for the help! At least knowing it isn't so bad on the other side lol.

Quoting Anonymous: We were lucky, I'll admit that much. We are both starting school on our gi bills next month and will be getting about 1500 a month from that after we pay our tuitions and that will help a lot. He accepted two job offers on the assumption that at least one would fall through. We also saved up before he got out.

Transition can be hard and scary, especially if the military life is all you've ever known. It was for us, but a year later and we are pretty settled and doing well. The hardest thing for us was affording health insurance.

Quoting lalaballet: Thank you for the bump. We did but not so much any more which sucks. I appreciate it.

Quoting Anonymous: Bump, dh had a job before he got out lined up. Good luck to you both and I hope things turn up quickly
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:20 PM

I love how people are asking about ACAP yet their dh's haven't been through it yet. ACAP really is only as good as the person giving the class. It's a lot of lip service. I can't tell you how many times my dh was told one thing only to find out once he was out that it was not true.

I hope everything works out. It's a scary time but he's in a better position than a lot as he does have resources.

Quoting lalaballet: We haven't heard of it. Do you happen to know the name! ACAP really told him nothing at all.

Quoting SitaStJames:

my husband is active duty Air Force and he was telling me that there is a program where once you're out of the active duty where you can get paid BAH as a Staff rank. Has your husband looked into that?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)