Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Well that's rude...our neighbor stole our cat.

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:00 PM
  • 1141 Replies
43 moms liked this

A month ago I got a cat for my kids. Ever since we brought her home my neighbor (I hardly know her) has come by every single day bugging me about getting her fixed. I told her the first few times she came by that we were going to get a litter of kittens out of her first, as my mom wants a few cats for her barn to solve a mouse infestation. She goes off every time so I just ignore her now. WELL, today our cat was not to be found. We looked everywhere, the house, the yard, and couldn't find her. Around 4pm, said neighbor shows up with my cat. Her words? "I took your cat and got her spayed for you."

My hell. I am absolutely livid. 

ETA Holy cow I had no idea this was such a touchy subject, I just want to reiterate a few things. 

1. You can't just take any cat and turn it into a good barn cat/mouse hunter. She has great traits that she's inherited from our other barn cats.

2. I live in an area with a lot of hunters with hound dogs. This results in a low cat population because they use cats to train their dogs. Our pound literally gives cats to them.

3. Where I live has deer and elk, its a small town and my back yard has a wood fence 20 feet high to prevent said deer and elk from getting into my yard and tearing my garden apart. My cat literally cannot get out and it's raining today anyways.

Again, for those of you who can't read, she came into MY YARD. She admitted to it. And i'm not overpopulating, re-read the part about cats getting killed to train hounds.

So, After speaking with an officer she's getting charged with trespassing and theft of private property (the cat clearly had a collar on and she returned it to us, she knew it was ours.) she straight up told the officer she was "taking care of our problem." The vet is told me he's willing to testify that she brought the cat in and he also gave a statement to the police, as did his assistant. I can't wait to see her in court. And for you ladies that think she did the right thing, there is not a damn thing wrong with wanting one litter out of a cat. And there isn't anything bad about a responsible pet owner not fixing their animal.

ETA 3/27 some of you don't know how to read. She was going to have ONE litter, and the kittens already had future homes! Then she would be spayed. I had to drive six hours to find a good cat (she was out of a relatives good barn cats...and yes those genes get passed on! I'd rather get a cat I know for sure will be good than a random stray). We rarely have more than 1-2 cats in the shelter, and I've picked them up if I get there before a hunter has. Irregardless, It was not her right nor her place to do that to my cat.  I will be getting a new momma cat and having kittens, and I'll post pics and you can take your opinions and bash away :) I'll be suing her for violating my privacy and damaging my property (I've already spoken with my lawyer).

Also, the life of a barn cat is not even remotely horrible. They aren't cooped up in a house...they have wonderful warm shelter and free range. they have plenty of food (mice and cat food)and are very loved by my kiddos and their friends. Have a nice day :)

Thank you to all the ladies who understood the post! :)

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy383
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

How did she get the cat?

mommyfesha
by monster on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:01 PM
30 moms liked this
WTH? That lady has some boundary issues!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:02 PM
6 moms liked this

Bonus: Now you don't have to pay for it!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:02 PM
19 moms liked this

Good there's enough cats around already,  if your mom wants cats go get them from a shelter!

Kitsun
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:02 PM
4 moms liked this
Can you spay her now?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spunknsass
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Our backyard is fenced, but the gate isn't locked and i'm guessing that she went back there and grabbed her when she say her come out the doggy door. I was at work or I would have noticed.

Quoting Mommy383:

How did she get the cat?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:03 PM
14 moms liked this
Ohhhh I'd be making a police report....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:03 PM
4 moms liked this
Holy smokes and I thought my neighbors were crazy!
Heisenberg
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Is this an "outdoor" cat?

spunknsass
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Good there's enough cats around already,  if your mom wants cats go get them from a shelter!

Not in the area I live, our pound is full of dogs but hardly any cats and I needed her for kittens first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)