Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If I hit you, it's because you're a stupid idiot.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

Do you rely on blinkers when you make decisions to turn while driving?

I almost got into a car accident TWICE today from people misinterpreting my turn signal. The first time was at an intersection with a turn lane, and there's an entrance/exit to a shopping center inside that turn lane. I put my blinker on to turn, and the car waiting in the shopping center exit assumed I was turning into the shopping center and darted right out in front of me. I had to slam on my breaks.

The second time happened in town at a construction site. The right hand lane was closed, so I moved over to the left. When the construction ended, I turned on my blinker to move back into the right hand lane. Unfortunately, it ended right before a freeway exit. The person in the turn lane going the opposite direction assumed I was turning onto the freeway (double lane exit) and turned right in front of me. Again, I had to slam on my breaks so that I wouldn't plow into them.

WTF? Why are there so many stupid drivers out there? When my dad taught me how to drive, one of the first things he told me was NEVER assume someone is going to turn just because they have their blinker on. It's common sense. AND, if you pull out into oncoming traffic, you're automatically at fault.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:06 PM
Sounds like you are turning your blinker on too early.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:07 PM

So I'm supposed to turn my blinker on AFTER I turn?

Quoting Anonymous: Sounds like you are turning your blinker on too early.

Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this
The rule of thumb for the use of a blinker is about.the distance of three houses.
You should have waited to turn on your blinker until you were past the driveway and the exit. Your intentions were unclear.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:10 PM
If there is another turn before you are actually turning, it's too soon. People don't always wait for you to turn to go (obviously) so the rational thing to do is turn your signal right before you turn.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Both of the turns the people assumed I was making were AFTER the turn I was making. The shopping center exit was a car's length into the turn lane, and the construction ended right before the freeway exit. If they were unsure of the turns I was trying to make, they need to go back to driving school.

Quoting Cmgmqmmom: The rule of thumb for the use of a blinker is about.the distance of three houses. You should have waited to turn in your blinker until you were past the driveway and the exit. Your intentions were unclear.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:13 PM

^^^See my other reply.

Quoting Anonymous: If there is another turn before you are actually turning, it's too soon. People don't always wait for you to turn to go (obviously) so the rational thing to do is turn your signal right before you turn.
Quoting Anonymous:

Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:15 PM
Part of being a good and defensive driver is assuming the other drivers are going to do something unexpected. I never presume someone is going to stop at a stop sign, for example. I wait to see them stop before proceeding.

Quoting Anonymous:

Both of the turns the people assumed I was making were AFTER the turn I was making. The shopping center exit was a car's length into the turn lane, and the construction ended right before the freeway exit. If they were unsure of the turns I was trying to make, they need to go back to driving school.

Quoting Cmgmqmmom: The rule of thumb for the use of a blinker is about.the distance of three houses.
You should have waited to turn in your blinker until you were past the driveway and the exit. Your intentions were unclear.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:16 PM

The problem is you,  you're turning your blinker on too early!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Did you even read my replies before responding?

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:20 PM

No your post wasn't interesting enough to warrant that,  it still isn't!

Quoting Anonymous:

Did you even read my replies before responding?

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)