Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Where do you put your kids?

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:43 AM
  • 57 Replies
1 mom liked this

Key points in red. 

I have 3 kiddos. Ages are 2, 3, and 7. I'm looking for a new (used) vehicle because our current one honestly doesn't have enough room. So If you have a vehicle with 3rd row seating where are the kids sitting? What's the safest configuration, and what do I need to be looking for? I prefer the latch system if possible, but do I need to explore the idea of using the seat belts? I want the 2yr old rf, and my 7yr old back in a high back booster instead of just a booster. No she's not in a harness. The child is the size of a 9yr old. Ok, I'm not against a harness for her but you get the idea, because the car seats like that are typically bigger and we have our kids smashed together as it is. 3 seats. I assume this has to be possible and more comfortable for everyone in a vehicle that seats 7. I'd like to get out of the dash ya know?

Now for the vehicle. So far I am considering a Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, and Chrysler Pacifica Touring. The key is an older cheaper vehicle. Yeah I could get one brand new but I don't wanna. I don't want a payment. So I need to be flexible. This may end in DH attending some auto auctions and I need to know specifically what vehicles will and won't safely and comfortably fit my 3 heathens. So any input is great. I've found a couple close by I will try and talk him into taking me to look at today.

Once I get it I'll go see a professional car seat installer, but please know the purpose of this post is what to consider in the vehicle I'm looking to purchase as far as carseats go. DH is handling the other parts like price, condition, etc.

by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:45 AM
Chevrolet Traverse
Justine1993
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:47 AM
Bump to help u
RobinBright
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:48 AM
Check out where the top tethers are in each model you're considering-- you need them for FF.

Typically, the least protected child belongs in the center. In your case, that would be the 6 yo. Ideally, she'd go in the third row middle-- but the safest spot is really wherever the seatbelt fits her best.
skipp2
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:48 AM

If your middle seat is 3 across I'd put the your 2 and 3 y/o's there, next to each other though allowing apace for your 6 y/o to get to the 3'rd row easily. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:48 AM

We have a Chevy Venture and like it really well. Our kids are 10, 5 and 3. The little two are both in 5 point harness and the older is not in any kind of seat. All are seated comfortably and safely in the van. It's a 7 passenger.

IncognitoOne
by Ruby Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:49 AM

My 19 month old is behind the driver, my 5 year old is behind the passenger, and my 7 year old is in the third row, behind the driver. Then I have a 4th seat behind the passenger in case I have my niece with me.

MaiVal
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:51 AM

We have a Dodge Caravan. We have a 6 year old DD, 4 yo DS, 1 1/2 year DD, and a DS on the way. We love it, never needed a professional to install carseats...

cntrdmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:52 AM

Well, I am trying to do this without the kids with us. Or just the baby, but now I kinda want my oldest to see how she fits. Then again I'm not against getting her a new seat though either. My husband thinks it's kinda crazy but I wouldn't mind putting her back in a harness, especially gor highway travels. I'll will look for at least top tethers on all seats then. You think I shouldn't worry about the bottom so much?

Quoting RobinBright: Check out where the top tethers are in each model you're considering-- you need them for FF. Typically, the least protected child belongs in the center. In your case, that would be the 6 yo. Ideally, she'd go in the third row middle-- but the safest spot is really wherever the seatbelt fits her best.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:53 AM

I absolutely love my Chrysler Town &Country.  I love the stow away seats.  We can easily move our 2 backed booster seats and one booster seat around depending on who is getting along better with who.  We can also stow one of the middle row captian's seats so that it easier for them to get to the back row.    Perhaps you could get a good deal on a used one :-).

TheMommaJessie
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:54 AM

I have a 1988 GMC suburban that has a third row but I don't use it. My seats are wide enough to comfortably fit 3 carseats in a row if needed. I have two kiddos my ds is 3 1/2 he sits middle row passenger side and dd is 1 1/2 and sits behind me also middle seat and there is plenty of room to put another car seat comfortably between them should we have another baby in the near future. My ds's car seat is convertable to a high back bootster. We do not have the latch system in my car just use the seat belts. The latch system is a pain in the but to install so we don't use it in hubbys truck. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)