Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

store bought crib vs hand made?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies
So my husband and I are expecting his first child my second. We are very excited. I'm only 9 weeks but last weekend we went to babies r us just to look around get ideas of things and they were having a sell on cribs some were 20% off. So we put an almost 400 dollar crib on layaway for only about 300 thanks to the discount. Our family has said they wanted to help us out but they don't know what to do so we figured if they wanted they could put a few dollars on the crib. It is so nice with a changing table and drawers plus the best part is it is really short close to the ground instead of having long legs. I'm super short so no matter what level the bed is at I will be able to reach my baby. Well later that day we went to dh sister's house for a little while and we were telling her about the crib and how much we love it then she started fussing at us for buying a crib instead of using some old handmade crib that is put up in some shed who knows where. I didn't say anything and my dh just said oh well we already got the one we are buying. I'm so so so glad we got this one already because there is no way I was going to use some handmade crib that I have no clue what kind of shape it is in or if it is safe. Would you use some old handmade crib that a ton of other babies have slept in or would you rather have a nice brand new crib?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
whooperz
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:38 PM
Buy the crib
ILovemyPaulie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:39 PM

New because it's safer, period. Congrats BTW! :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Thanks :) we had our first doc appointment last week were we got to see our little bean. We should be having a Halloween baby lol

Quoting ILovemyPaulie:

New because it's safer, period. Congrats BTW! :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:42 PM
Depending on the condition of the handmade crib would be my deciding factor.

No drop side and sturdy, safe? I'd pick that any day :)

Drop side? Slats to far apart? Yeah. I'll go new.
cymkare
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:45 PM
3 moms liked this

Assuming the handmade crib is safe and can be cleaned when it's removed from storage, I would happily use it. 

There's nothing wrong with old or used or handmade items. 

In fact, in my opinion handmade/upcycled is always better than new/mass produced products. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this
My son had his dads vintage crib , it was really nice and the in laws had it redone for us .
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:46 PM
I have no clue what condition this crib is in it is buried in a shed somewhere. Idk who all used that crib but the youngest child is 6 years old so that crib has been sitting unused for at least 6 years if not loner. I just don't trust it I would rather have a beautiful new crib that will grow with our child throughout their who life in our house

Quoting Anonymous: Depending on the condition of the handmade crib would be my deciding factor.

No drop side and sturdy, safe? I'd pick that any day :)

Drop side? Slats to far apart? Yeah. I'll go new.
3MusketeerMama
by EmmaRye Pie on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Depends on the used one. If it is up to safety regulations, I wouldn't mind using an older one of it was still in good condition. But I co-sleep, so it's kind of a moot point anyway in my house, lol.

Melbornj
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:48 PM
This, I would prefer a handmade item any day.

Quoting cymkare:

Assuming the handmade crib is safe and can be cleaned when it's removed from storage, I would happily use it. 

In fact, in my opinion handmade/upcycled is always better than new/mass produced products. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:48 PM
I just don't trust this thing I have no clue what it looks like. I would feel much safer with a new crib

Quoting cymkare:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)