Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Did you get your child tested? Ranting

Posted by   + Show Post
Why is it everytime a mom on here complains of there kid being bad or having sensitivity of stuff the first thing I see it did you get him tested or is he on the spectrum or maybe they have sensory issues.What kind of a society do we live In now that if your kid acts out at all they need to be tested.When I was a kid if you acted like a terror you were punished until it stuck.If you didn't like something like a shower or loud noises you just avoided them no sensory issues.it seems like every child on here is a special case.either we are over diagnosing things like autism or there is something wrong to cause these kids to have these issues.
Autism and sensory issues are the ADHD of my generation.if you think your kid needs testing great get them tested.But not liking pudding or not listening or not doing does not automatically mean special needs.It is being hugley over diagnosed.
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 7:34 AM
Replies (121-129):
Decemberlov
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 3:56 PM
lol

my daughter had tourettes and ocd. she's shower signs since she was 3 I finally figured it out after lots of extensive research. we didn't go to a dr to get a diagnosis until years later when she was 10 ( last year). I went because she started having a lot of trouble with school which is common at that age, ts and ocd ramp up during puberty, and I decided it was time to get the " official diagnosis" so she could get an iep to help her.

anyhow, you'd be surprised (or not) how many people that newly found out about the ts and ocd said "omg my kids always does this or always does that! I think I should get my kids tested!" or omg johnny had the sniffles for a week now maybe it's really a tic and he has tourettes! ummm no, im site hes ok. lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm on the fence about this. I have seen the benefits of early intervention and I really think if there's a concern, the best thing to do is be proactive rather than put your head in the sand. But that being said, not every less than perfect behaviour is a sign of autism. It does drive me crazy when moms come on here with things like "my two month old is really fussy at night" and people automatically come in with replies like "my uncle was like that as a baby, now he is schizophrenic." 

lm0808
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 4:00 PM
My daughter is 6 and we have the million questions like that. The hardest was she would only talk to maybe 5 people that is when the intensive testing came in . Het teacher sent the funniest note home - I almost proud to say Moriah got in trouble for talking today. !!

Quoting jeda1429:

My son is 12 , he used to have a lot more quirks than he does now, and he has gotten much less rigid with age. I feel like some of it was due to therapy, and some of was just due to growing up. he used to ask the same question like a million times a day lol, stuff like" What color is your shirt ? " long after he knew his colors. and then the next week it would be " how old are you?" like every five minutes lol absolutley drove me nuts and he got in trouble in school because he would keep raising his hand and asking " what page are we on?" even though he had already asked and turned to the right page. In first grade he had a habit of sniffing the teacher's feet at group time and sniffing garbage cans as he walked by. if you asked him why he would say " I'm pretending to be a rat".( super embarassing)  i think as he's gotten older he's just realized that these things are wierd and for the most part now he acts like a normal kid. He still obsesses over certain topics though . His latest are hamsters and trains. he will talk about them any chance he gets.

Quoting lm0808: It is beyond confusing and I'm sorry I came across mean , because until you know , you don't know how to help them !! I tell people all the time we live with Rainmann ! She had very set patterns and ways - we have come a long way since last year when she started school and therapy !!

Quoting jeda1429:

yeah, it's super confusing. Supposedly the only difference between high functioning autism and Aspergers was that to get a diagnosis of Aspergers the child had to have started talking at a normal age. I read somewhere that a Lot of doctors would give a diagnosis of Aspergers rather than high functioning autism because it was easier for the parents to accept, which was just silly because Aspergers is a form of high functioning autism. They are basically taking it away to get rid of confusion since they are one in the same.And I think they are making it a little bit harder to get a diagnosis of autsim. Hope I didn't just confuse you more lol

Quoting caito:

Ooooooooooh okay, I get it now. I've had a hell of a time since her doctor told me she needed to get tested. There's so much to learn and think about, gah. (Doesn't help to read shit like this post.)

Quoting jeda1429:

It's still there , they just call it high functioning autism now, and some kids will no longer fit the criteria. A lot of kids who were diagnosed Aspergers though will just be considered high functioning autistic.

Quoting caito:

My daughter is going to be tested soon, and I was told that Asperger's isn't considered on the spectrum anymore. I don't know why.

Quoting lm0808: Really are u a doctor ?? Or u an educator , my daughter doesn't have autism but she does have aspergers - can u tell sometimes yes sometimes no - I get upset when people say it's just a behavior thing - so much more than that !!!

Quoting skittleshawk:
Quoting lm0808: big difference from being Austic and spoiled. My daughter is like Rain Man ( it was a movie ) we have to do things certain ways our she gets very upset . There are no shades of gray - she takes. Things very literal !! My daughter has been diagnosed with high functioning Aspergets. !! So before u compare spoil to Austic - learn the difference and then come spend a day in my shoes. !!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

You obviously have children with no issues whatsoever and no experience of children with issues.

My children do have issues. I know we are not perfect parents and need to do things differently and we are working on changing things at home. Things have gotten much better. 

But I've been told my youngest must be autistic because of what I've posted about his behavior. 

He's not autstic he's spoiled!!

Aspergers no longer exists on the spectrum

grammabird
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Number 1. Why are these remarks ALWAYS anonymous? Are you scared? Of what? You can't catch it. Listen upi, my grandson is high funtioning autistic, and you couldn't handle one half day with him. My dd wanted a healthy baby. He showed signs rite from the very beginning. My opinion doesn't matter, but Awareness for these kids isn't getting any better with people like you, either doubting or not believeing. You will believe when it happens to you/or your grands!! I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 28, 2014 at 4:11 PM
It sucks that you have to resort to name calling. Make some changes in your life then you won't need to act like this on the internet

Quoting jeda1429:

I'm trying to enlighten you stupid. The fact is that a good share of the time people are not out looking for a lable , it is brought to them by concerned educators and doctors. But obviously you are too narrow minded to even consider that you could be wrong, so have a nice life.

Quoting Anonymous: Yeah I dont care if you like my view point or not.

Quoting jeda1429:

I really hate this view point. I did NOT want my child labled. i faught it for a long time because the idea of my son being autistic was devistating to me. The school insisted that he be tested until I gave in. Now years later I wish I would have done it sooner because early intervention is important. He's doing okay, but I will always wonder what if. why does everyone assume that we are out lable shopping for our kids ? i sure as hell wasn't.

Quoting Anonymous:

its easier to get your kid a label, that way hes/shes special needs and everyone has to accept his/her nasty behavior.

It also gives the mommies a way to feel useful, and get sympathy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 28, 2014 at 4:13 PM
Aww someone else who doesn't like my opinion. Oh to bad I dont care.

Quoting caito:

Must feel nice to live in your perfect little world.

Quoting jeda1429:

I really hate this view point. I did NOT want my child labled. i faught it for a long time because the idea of my son being autistic was devistating to me. The school insisted that he be tested until I gave in. Now years later I wish I would have done it sooner because early intervention is important. He's doing okay, but I will always wonder what if. why does everyone assume that we are out lable shopping for our kids ? i sure as hell wasn't.

Quoting Anonymous:

its easier to get your kid a label, that way hes/shes special needs and everyone has to accept his/her nasty behavior.

jeda1429
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Oh , go away , you clearly have nothing useful to say.

Quoting Anonymous: It sucks that you have to resort to name calling. Make some changes in your life then you won't need to act like this on the internet
Quoting jeda1429:

I'm trying to enlighten you stupid. The fact is that a good share of the time people are not out looking for a lable , it is brought to them by concerned educators and doctors. But obviously you are too narrow minded to even consider that you could be wrong, so have a nice life.

Quoting jeda1429:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 28, 2014 at 4:29 PM
Aww you didn't like my reply to your quote to me.then don't quote me.

Quoting jeda1429:

Oh , go away , you clearly have nothing useful to say.

Quoting Anonymous: It sucks that you have to resort to name calling. Make some changes in your life then you won't need to act like this on the internet

Quoting jeda1429:

Quoting jeda1429:

Quoting Anonymous:

kissmiss213
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 4:30 PM

all of my kids have some form of ADHD. the only one we actually tested tho was ds#1, and that was after he started having meltdowns in class due to his lack of focus. the way i see it, if you can work with it, fine, if it becomes a problem, THEN we medicate. im really starting to wonder about dd though, cause its not really a problem for her (schoolwise), but it is becoming a problem for the other students. she is really starting to distract them....im hoping that next year will be better, but we will see then. she will be going into middleschool, and she will be skipping 6th grade math (and im going to push for english as well)...maybe more of a challenge will keep her in line better....or it could just cause her to get frustrated more...idk. and ds#2 will be going into K next year, so we'll see how he handles it all. he is in prek now, but it is a much more relaxed environment then school, so we'll see....

skittleshawk
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 4:50 PM
Quoting grammabird:

Number 1. Why are these remarks ALWAYS anonymous? Are you scared? Of what? You can't catch it. Listen upi, my grandson is high funtioning autistic, and you couldn't handle one half day with him. My dd wanted a healthy baby. He showed signs rite from the very beginning. My opinion doesn't matter, but Awareness for these kids isn't getting any better with people like you, either doubting or not believeing. You will believe when it happens to you/or your grands!! I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

m
Learn to read I'm not anonymus
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN