Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Autistic children and their future

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Are you concerned with the next generation of autistic adults?  I think it's fair to wonder since there are more children diagnosed with autism everyday.  The numbers are alarming.  1 in 68.  (Edit) 

Discuss with empathy and class, please.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 28, 2014 at 4:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
Lydlou02
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:29 PM
I'm not concerned. I'm autistic.
Job interviews are hard, but holding a job wasn't. I'm a sahm now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:30 PM

How is it determined if a child is either high or low functioning?  I am assuming that high functioning is a child that is highly intelligent, yet is socially awkward?  I mean no offense at all.  I'm trying to understand.

Quoting acrogodess:

I am not concerned for my son because he is high functioning. The only concern is for lower functioning individuals and they generally live in group homes and receive SSI when they are older. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Is it the social aspect of the job interview that was difficult for you?  Do you experience irrational fear/anxiety etc!?

Quoting Lydlou02: I'm not concerned. I'm autistic. Job interviews are hard, but holding a job wasn't. I'm a sahm now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:34 PM

low functioning autistics will not procreate = population control!! has 0 to do with the government...

Quoting Anonymous:

Whom will be controlling the population?  The government..  Are you of the opinion that Autism is a man-made disorder for the sole purpose of population control?  I am trying to understand how you've reasoned out your response.

Quoting Anonymous:

lots of people in care homes!! in the end its basically population control...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:36 PM

I would imagine that they will need special care in a nursing home setting.  That is a depressing thought. Basically these in-care residential facilities will be overwhelmed.  I see a very specialized new profession for medical/mental staff on the horizon.

Quoting Anonymous:

My concern who's going to take care of them when the parents are too old to take care of them.  And who's going to care of of the old parents.  Just a sad situation for all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:36 PM

I see.  Thank you for your response.

Quoting Anonymous:

low functioning autistics will not procreate = population control!! has 0 to do with the government...

Quoting Anonymous:

Whom will be controlling the population?  The government..  Are you of the opinion that Autism is a man-made disorder for the sole purpose of population control?  I am trying to understand how you've reasoned out your response.

Quoting Anonymous:

lots of people in care homes!! in the end its basically population control...

KREX0914
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:37 PM

A good number of those "1 in 68" are high functioning.

My 4 year old was classified as "high functioning autistic" and as having "receptive communication disorder" by the local educational psychologist. She does not handle social situations with much grace, but otherwise she looks and acts just like any other preschooler.

My brother was diagnosed with Aspburger's at age 4 and he was perfectly fine being mainstreamed without any special education classes. He even has a full ride scholarship to a good college. Other than having the label and being a little "quirky" to say the least, no one would know the difference. 

Because it is a spectrum and so many people are actually high functioning, I don't think it is going to be nearly as big a problem as some would like to think.

iamnameless
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:39 PM
I think its important to understand many can live perfectly normal lives and have jobs and families.
buckeyefever
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:39 PM

My son is high functioning. I think honestly it really depends on the person. I have seen some major improvements with therapy. I know a lot of high functioning adults that drive hold jobs and live on their own. My uncle being one of them. I can see the lower functioning winding up in group homes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:39 PM
I know my older son will be able to be a productive member of society, but I worry about my younger son. What will happen when DH & I die? If he's still living at home (which is likely) where will he go? While he would probably feel most comfortable & safe with one of his siblings, I don't feel they should have to care for him. They would most likely have their own families, etc. I also hate the thought of him in a group home :/

I really hope his skills drastically improve, for his own sake.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN