Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So I guess we're not allowed to be upset because someone else has it worse?

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:27 AM
  • 39 Replies
5 moms liked this
I see it in real life and on here a lot.
Someone airing out their frustrations and someone telling them it could be worse.
For example, on here:
A woman is frustrated because her SO broke his legs and now everything rests on her shoulders.
And someone will come in with "well my SO died from blah, blah. Deal with it."
Or someone being upset or overwhelmed with their child and there's always someone who'll say " I have three SN kids, you don't have a problem"
Or someone got their hours cut at work and it's causing financial difficulties. And there's always that one " I was out of work for years, at least you still have a job"

With most these posts all the mom needs is some encouraging words and some support, even if it's virtual.
Why one up or one down the person?
Can they not be upset or overwhelmed because it could be worse?

Just a vent

Any thoughts?
by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:31 AM
I know there's a name for that behavior, I just can't think what it is right now. It basically comes down to competition. They can't argue that their life is better so they argue that it's worse.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:33 AM
One upping?

Quoting Anonymous: I know there's a name for that behavior, I just can't think what it is right now. It basically comes down to competition. They can't argue that their life is better so they argue that it's worse.
HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:33 AM
The one-upper?

Quoting Anonymous: I know there's a name for that behavior, I just can't think what it is right now. It basically comes down to competition. They can't argue that their life is better so they argue that it's worse.
leksismommy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:33 AM
That is an interesting concept, isn't it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:33 AM
I've never understood that, either. We're all entitled to our own feelings.
Cymbeline
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:33 AM
2 moms liked this
I was raised with this belief. It's incredibly unhealthy.

The ones who need to compare scars for attention are ridiculous. When someone speaks of something difficult, they'll loudly exclaim that some irrelevant group of people have it harder or just as hard.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree. They just want attention and they want to be the center of the pity party and cant let others join in.

Lilith23
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:34 AM
4 moms liked this
Huge Bitch? Maybe that's the term.

Lilith23
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:35 AM
I say; my struggle isn't more or less painful than yours.
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:36 AM
2 moms liked this
I've seen that or the well be grateful for what you do have line.

People need to vent from time to time and I can't stand the ones that have to tell you how much worse they have it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN