Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Colorado man files suit, Idaho State Police accused of ‘license plate profiling’

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies

Now before you read this, keep in mind it happens a lot outside of Colorado. For new years, we were driving down to Texas to see a friend and got stopped because of our Colorado License plates and they requested to search our vehicle. We complied but we also had a small camera rolling on our dashboard and we advised the cop we were filming. At that point, his search was cancelled by his own free will. So I wanted to hear your opinion ladies. Oh and this wasn't a racial thing against us either. We're snowflakes and we were pulled over by someone of our own race LOL

http://kdvr.com/2014/03/28/colorado-man-files-suit-idaho-state-police-accused-of-license-plate-profiling/

A 70-year-old man from Colorado filed a federal lawsuit against Idaho State Police. He says he's a victim of "license plate profiling."

Take a guess at why he says a trooper stopped him.

His story is here: http://link.kdvr.com/1g92JvE

DENVER — Racial profiling is well known, but a Colorado man says the state’s new recreational marijuana law is contributing to “license plate profiling.”

Darian Roseen, a 70-year-old man from Pagosa Springs, has filed a federal civil rights law suit alleging that the Idaho State Police targeted him because of his Colorado license plates.

He claims that a trooper pulled him over and subjected him to multiple searches for marijuana simply because he had a Colorado license plate.

“Mr. Roseen is a retiree who was simply returning from his daughter’s baby shower in Washington,” said Mark Coonts, an attorney for Roseen. “I mean there was no reason to deprive him of his rights that day. There was no justification.”

According to the lawsuit, Roseen had just crossed into Idaho from Oregon on Interstate 84 in late January, when a trooper began following him into a rest stop and then turned on his lights.

“From the facts and even the video of the dash cam of the police car, the conversation turns quickly from a lane change violation to, ‘Where is your marijuana?’” Coonts said.

Since Colorado legalized recreational marijuana in January, law enforcement agencies in neighboring states haven’t been shy about warning drivers that they’re on the lookout.

Wyoming Highway Patrol Sergeant Stephen Townsend was among several who sat watch near the Colorado border shortly after the state began selling recreational marijuana in January.

“Troopers are always alert to criminal activity so they will still be watching for those who possess marijuana or are transporting it,” said Townsend during an interview with Fox31 in January.

But attorneys including Coonts say that troopers can’t simply be watching for Colorado license plates.

“Just because you’re from Colorado doesn’t mean that you’re automatically carrying marijuana into our state,” said Coonts who works in Idaho.

According to the lawsuit, an Idaho trooper detained Roseen but “did not allow Mr. Roseen to call an attorney and continued to accuse him of having something illegal in the vehicle.”

The trooper then allegedly searched part of the vehicle at the rest stop. Though he still didn’t find anything, he reportedly kept digging.

“Another officer came and drove Mr. Roseen’s vehicle to the sheriff’s office where a more thorough search was done by the officers,” Coonts said.

None of the searches uncovered any marijuana or other illegal activity. The trooper cited Roseen for careless driving and then let him leave.

“This isn’t a pro-marijuana case or an anti-marijuana case, this is a civil rights case,” Coonts said.

The Idaho State Patrol won’t comment on pending litigation, but a representative said they don’t pull over a motorist without just cause.

Roseen’s attorney says they haven’t heard of any other lawsuits relating to license plate profiling, but they hope that their case raises awareness for others who may have fallen victim to the practice.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the_dude
by abides on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:08 AM
Wow... dude that is fucking crazy,
And you told him you were filming and he 86'd the search? Fucking seriously... wow...
angelenia
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:10 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:10 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes you have the right to film police and hold them accountable for their actions. I had nothing to hide, but did he? Apparently he didn't want to get caught doing something wrong! I still told him he could search all he wanted but the camera would remain taping.

the_dude
by abides on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:13 AM
1 mom liked this
The dude abumps
the_dude
by abides on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:13 AM
The dude abumps
the_dude
by abides on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:14 AM
The dude abumps
newmom121812
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:18 AM
I live in Colorado.... I'd be so mad!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:18 AM
1 mom liked this

He stopped because he didn't have probable cause to do a vehicle search and he knew it.  What he was doing was illegal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:21 AM

Quoting newmom121812: I live in Colorado.... I'd be so mad!!

yup, however back in January at the time I was pulled over - it wasn't fully legal for recreational use.. we drove in on Dec 31st but we were pulled over on January 2nd around 1am

newmom121812
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:23 AM
That sucks! I don't drive thank goodness

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting newmom121812: I live in Colorado.... I'd be so mad!!

yup, however back in January at the time I was pulled over - it wasn't fully legal for recreational use.. we drove in on Dec 31st but we were pulled over on January 2nd around 1am

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)